Chapter 4 Awkward

The ride back to the GSO headquarters was awkward. Even though the government vans were quite spacious, putting three adults in the back seat would always make them feel crowded and uncomfortable. Diego sat in the middle, with his slightly trembling hands folded on his lap, while his dark eyes darted from side to side as he tried to discern where they were taking him.

"You don't have to worry. We're the good guys," Aleks said and resisted the urge to put a hand on his arm. He was far too nervous, and an unfamiliar touch would only make him more skittish.

"I know, but still. Dark, undercover vans driving away from the city... that's enough to make a guy a little stressed, no?" Diego fidgeted with his fingers.

Antoni, on the other side of him, scoffed. "Don't you think you'd be dead already if we wanted to hurt you?"

"Antoni!" Aleks scolded.

"It was a joke!"

"I told you to stop joking. You are terrible at it."

Contrary to what she feared, Diego seemed to relax at their bickering. "You are twins, I presume?"

"Duh! We look pretty much the same." Toni shrugged.

"No, we don't," Aleks protested.

"Well, it was the arguing that gave you away," Diego admitted with a small smile that lit his handsome face. Aleks had to blink and look away, not to stare.

She harrumphed. "We still have at least half an hour trip if the traffic stays like this. I bet you have plenty of questions. We might not be able to answer them all, but some, at least. Maybe it will make you feel better?"

Diego thought briefly, eyes scanning a beige van's ceiling as if the questions were written there. "You called us gifted," he asked reluctantly. "Is it an official term for what we are?"

"Sounds better than weirdoes, don't you think?" Toni grinned.

"I guess so."

"Yes, that's an official name." Aleks nodded. "However, anyone who abuses their powers is branded a deviant."

Diego sighed and ran his hand through his dark hair. "It's a relief. When this... thing happened to me for the first time, I thought I was going crazy."

"It is scary, yes," Aleks agreed. "That's why it's so important that we contact newly gifted as soon as possible because we can offer them help to deal with it."

"Is that what you do?" Diego removed his glasses and tried to clean them with the rim of his not-very-clean t-shirt. "Gathering all the gifted in one place and... do what exactly?"

Even though his tone was casual, Aleks could see that his aura was still bordering between yellow and orange. He was afraid of them, and, to be honest, she couldn't blame him. It was an unconventional situation, and anyone would be wary.

"The GSO headquarters is a place for the gifted to stay and learn. We have scientists researching what caused our genes to mutate in the first place and if any side effects could affect our everyday lives. Some people run practice classes where you can learn the extent of your powers and how to get full control over them to avoid... accidents."

Orange flared again. "Accidents? What sort of accidents?"

"Well, your gift is pretty docile compared to others," Aleks replied with a small smile. "You should see Toni when he discovered his gift. He almost burned down the whole school."

"I did not!" Toni protested, his head shooting up from scrolling on the phone.

"You totally did." Aleks laughed. "The thing is, some gifts are dangerous even for those who wield them. That's why ensuring people know what they are capable of is so important."