Slasher On The Woods Part 2

I felt sweat covering my entire face. I probably looked pale as paper too, the woods lost all of their warmth. Now it was cold, bland and unfamiliar.

It didn't help that only Eren and I were investigating while the others tried to console Nicole back at the house. The only thing making me not completely lose my shit is that I'm carrying my rifle. Eren said that it would be unnecessary, arguing that it's a possibility that Nicole mistakenly mistook a man for an animal.

That theory had many holes like why was the description of the man specific or what kind of animal aside from apes looked similar to humans? After the debate settled he agreed to let me have the rifle with me. My eyes darted left and right, half-expecting a killer charge at me.

I swallowed a lump in my throat. Eren on the other hand didn't show any fear and strolled confidently. We were silent the entire time we searched the hooded individual, finally, I decided to break the ice.

"Do you think that person left already?" I said, failing miserably to keep the shakiness of my tone.

"Yes, I'm pretty sure the guy left. If it was a human anyways. It's more to calm Nicole."

"I-I see..."

It was once again quiet between us. We continued to walk for several more minutes, thankfully we knew our way back since we walked in a straight line. Though before we turned around, we caught a whiff of a horrible stench.

"What the hell?" Eren gagged.

"What is that smell?"

I stayed silent as I took in the horrible smell, the horrible odour seems familiar. It was a smell that filled my nostrils whether I ventured into the forest to go hunting with my Dad. It was the smell of a dead animal.

The smell of death. But this was different, I don't know how to describe it, but it felt different somehow. Normally I would be used to it, but right now, I nearly threw up what little food my stomach had.

"What the fuck?" Cursed Eren.

Pulling up his shirt to cover his nostrils from the odour. Even Though we knew we shouldn't, we followed the scent. With each step, the odour became more overpowering, and we had to take a break because Eren vomited his breakfast.

Eventually, we came across the source. Leaning slumped against the tree was a human body. A dead human body.

The corpse was male, his left leg has been severed, the arms were mangled and clear stab wounds were all over the torso. The man's right eye was missing, instead, maggots and other types of worms crawled in and out within the missing eye hole. But what made everything worse is that we recognized who it was.

It was Mikey.

At first, I didn't feel anything, the reality my brain was processing was slow. Then I screamed and backed away. Eren started hyperventilating as we stared at the corpse of our friend.

I continued to scream at the top of my lungs, only stopping when I noticed Eren vanished from his spot and was now running back in the direction of the house. The fear of being left behind alone, so close to a crime scene, unless you are in my shoes, you could never understand the amount of fear coursing in my veins.

Before I knew it I chased behind him. Unfortunately due to my less athletic ability and carrying a rifle in my hand, I was slower. After running for about a minute my body started to burn.

Despite that, I continued to chase him. I ignored my surroundings, only focusing on Eren's back like it was the only thing in this world. Another minute passed and my lungs start to burn and my eyes started to water.