The Anxiety of Locking Eyes

Someone looks over at you and you lock eyes. They are looking at you. Looking into you. Eyes boring into your soul. What if they see it. Your darkened soul, all the blemishes and bruises and holes where a whole person should have a full soul but you're not a whole person and what if they see that what if they see into you and see how much of a wreck you are what if they see how distraught you are over an event 3 years old what if they see how you weep at night what if they see into your mind and see all the thoughts sprinting around and cackling and beating the good parts of you until they're black and blue what if they see all the broken promises that swear on your grave that they'll haunt you until the day you die what if they see every single time you've tried to end it all and see how you always vomit and cry because you can't commit to anything you stupid boy you don't know how to get through life and they see that they see it all they see every mistake you've made they see the promise of safety bouncing around your skull they see the guilt wracking and consuming your every thought they see it and they know you have no good left in you they know you're corrupt they know with every touch from another you only hope to gain a little bit of good back they know how everything you touch withers and dies they know they know they KNOW THEY KNOW THEY ALL KNOW. They look away.