Ghost and Bird

I'm minding my own business, looking at the water in front of me. Jake would have loved to be here - he would have fallen in love with treasure hunting with the pogues I've gathered. He and Tasha... I wish they were with me on this adventure.

But, instead, I'm stuck with JJ Maybank coming over to me. He sits down in the sand. "Can I ask you something?"

"Already have," I joke.

"What's the story between Kiara and Sarah?"

I take a deep breath. "I've been wondering that myself. I know something happened to them when I was gone but I don't know what. I hadn't been allowed any mail because it could have been a cry for help. It was more intense than what I've read about life in prison."

"That's sound like torture," JJ states, pulling his knees to his chest.

"They weren't allowed to torture patients anymore," I assure him.

He stares at me. "Anymore?"

I nod. "They used to be much worse to their patients." JJ shutters. "I got lucky in that aspect but their conditioning hasn't stuck anymore."

"Conditioning?" JJ questions, looking at me.

I nod again. "Whenever I had mentioned Jake, I'd get punished until I forgot about him and his death. I could only say good memories of him and had to keep all the murder to myself. As soon as I went a year without a relapse, as they called it, I was allowed out. When I got back, Sarah got to me before Kiara could even make an effort. It... sucks but I went to the first person who accepted me."

"And that was Sarah," he says slowly.

"That was Sarah," I agree.

He straightens his legs and leans back. His fingers brush against mine but neither of us mention the contact, both looking ahead. "Well, if you get taken again, I'll be here for you. The moment you get back."

I manage to smile. "Let's hope it doesn't get to that." I just wish I could remember everything now. I want to remember who killed Jake. I want to remember where. When. With what gun. Why we had gone to that building to begin with. Why I was there at all. All of that information is gone - they had succeeded in that aspect.

"Let's hope," he agrees.

. the cool kids .

The tension in the room is huge when Taylor comes back from getting Kiara's side of the story. John B tosses a water bottle to her, asking what she had said.

"That you're an idiot," Taylor replies, barely catching it.

"It's a no-brainer, you're picking Kie," Pope says.

John B shakes his head. "I can't decide."

"So what?" JJ asks. "We're just dead in the water because you're pussy-whipped? We can't do this without Kie and you know it."

"And I can't do it without Sarah," John B argues. "They both have to be in on it. Think about Gwen for a moment." I hum in confusion, swallowing my gulp of water. "We hadn't all been keen on her at first either but now she's here, making this choice with us. She's technically a part of the tension between Kie and Sarah."

"Don't bring Gwen into this," JJ tells him.

"My point is," John B continues, "I need both of them."

Pope looks at him. "Good luck with that."

John B breathes out and gets off the counter. "You know what? I know this is my fault. But it's our problem." He starts toward the door. "I've got a plan. You two shithead, and company," he says gesturing from the boys to the girls, "are going to help me out."