Chapter 10 - Hokori

Callum Heatherman was in the same grade as Grayson. He wasn't as athletically-gifted as the undercover vigilante, but he was academically-gifted. Callum had all the smarts in the world, but something he didn't have was Grayson's raw power and tenacity. He was actually a timid kid who would tremble at a cat passing by. He was short and wore taped glasses. He was very subconscious about his hair, as it resembled a mushroom and would often be called, "Mushroom Head" by his peers. His mother never allowed him to change it, though, because it was "very fitting for a boy such as himself," according to her.
Kids such as himself weren't safe from the harassment and tormenting of other students, who were often bigger and stronger. Kids such as Grayson were safe, because he could actually fight back and other kids knew that, turning their attention to the ones they knew couldn't. Grayson never had a problem with Callum, but the same couldn't be said for the latter. Because Callum had such a hard time standing up for himself, those, such as Grayson, would stand up for him, which truly irritated him.
The final bell had just rung and, a few seconds later, Callum was already out the door and in the courtyard. He wanted to get away from the tormenting, but he wasn't quick enough. Three of his usual tormentors blocked his path: Kyle, Vincent and Dave. They were tall and towered over Callum, like giants.
"You should know why we're here," Vincent sneered.
"But I've already given you most of what I already have," Callum softly spoke back. "Can't I have a little for myself?"
"Sure," Kyle shrugged. He then raised a balled fist. "I hope you're fine with this as compensation then.
"Okay, okay!" Callum gave in. He reached inside his coat's pocket and pulled out a wrinkly five dollar bill. "That's all I have left." Suddenly, a hand wrapped around his wrist, halting it before the transaction could be made. It was Grayson, who's eyes shot harsh daggers through Kyle, Dave and Vincent.
"I thought we were through with this!" Grayson barked. He let go of Callum's wrist and squeezed himself in front of him. "Get lost!" The three bullies gritted their teeth and clenched their fists, but they knew, as well as Grayson himself, that they weren't going to do anything.
"Alright," Vincent said, releasing the tension in his teeth and fists. "Let's go, guys."
Grayson walked away in the other direction and past Callum, who was as still as a mannequin. He turned to face Grayson and opened his mouth, but nothing came out. He envied Grayson to the point that he couldn't even thank him. How can someone be so gifted, so effortlessly? He wondered that more often than he could count. He was thankful for Grayson, but he had too much pride to admit it aloud.
The next day at school was a Friday. Everybody had a mental timer inside their heads, counting down to the final bell. A few of the students in Ms. Stacy's class stared up at the ticking hands of the clock, others patiently waited while staring down at their phone screens. Among the students was Callum Heatherman, who was getting ahead on other schoolwork. Everyone looked to the front of the room when Mrs. Stacy called out to the class for their undivided attention. She had a stack of papers in her hand that she asked Grayson to pass out for her. When he read what the papers said, his eyes widened.
   Oh, he thought.
"What Grayson is passing out is information about our day-long trip to Satten City next Friday," Mrs. Stacy began. "Bring food, water and other things like a charger or money of your own. We'll have a guide giving us a tour of the city and its attractions. The paper covers everything you need to know."
When Grayson finally finished distributing the papers to his classmates, he returned to his seat. He had completely forgotten about the trip to Satten City. Everybody was told about it during the first couple weeks of school, back in September, but not a word since had been spoken about it. The trip hadn't crossed his mind for five months. What about his duties as the protector of Katchburg? He'd be gone the entire day, not able to keep the city safe, if need be. In the end, he just slumped further into his seat and let out a long, heavy sigh, thinking about how much of a drag it all was.

A week passed and Grayson, along with his peers from Mrs. Stacy's class, were seated on a coach bus, headed for Satten City. He brought along his cloak and leather pouch inside a drawstring bag, though he left his katana behind. There was no way he'd ever get away with bringing it and not looking suspicious. It wouldn't fit inside his drawstring and he didn't want to lug around a huge bag all day. Grayson sat in a seat closest to the window, with Peter to the right of him. He looked over to see Peter working on his English and Composition homework from the night before, something that Grayson had blown off without a second thought. He turned back to the window with a chuckle. The coach was moving so fast that everything they passed was a blur.
After a few minutes, Grayson shut his eyes, entering deep into his mind. He usually did visualization training before he went to bed for the night, but since he had nothing better to do now, he decided now would be a good time. He created a reality within his own head; a bright and white void that, despite there being no ground or floor to stand on, he didn't fall. He remained firm on his own two feet. He was fully equipped with his cloak and sword.
Twenty dark, shadowy figures suddenly began to swarm around him in a circle, forming out of thin air, wielding various sharp and serrated weapons. All twenty figures rushed him. Knives and daggers swiped and slashed at him, but not a single one is able to cut him down. His movements were too sharp; too keen. He drew his katana and, one by one, tore through the army of dark figures, each one dissipating into an ebon smoke once slain. After cutting down the final figure, he stood up straight and slipped his katana back into its sheath.
He snapped back to reality, his eyelids flying open. He felt just as much satisfaction from his visualization as any physical training he would do on his own time or any of the lessons Verseigo had taught him in the Alizan Mountains. Training his mind was extremely important to him, just as important as the physical side of it. As if on cue, the coach zoomed past a bright sign that caught Grayson's attention. He turned his head and peeked out the window to get a closer look. The sign read, "Satten City '' in bold lettering.
   We're here, Grayson thought.