Chapter Forty-Four

In the mirror, Reagan caught a glimpse of her reflection.

She looked like a Goddess of death. A seasoned killer—which, she supposed she was. Her skin was splattered in droplets of blood. Her hair, though tied back, was fanning wildly about her face. Her sword was painted red, face drawn with seriousness.

She'd lost track of time. And the bodies. Though they were piling up. She'd moved onto her fourth corner, sticking with her original technique.

Even as she forced herself not to pay too much attention, she kept one ear on the loud speaker. Most of it was rambled nonsense, but every now and then, Seth would say something about Killian and her heart would jolt.

Even if they weren't playing for the same team anymore, she felt connected to him. Like they were still on the same page.

More screams sounded from not too far away.

She readied her sword in front of her body for the attack of a survivor.

"We're down to two hundred and fifty vampires," Seth announced, which meant they were roughly halfway through. In a monotone voice, he continued. "A good fight really makes you work up an appetite. Which is why you should head down to the concession stands if you're watching here live from the audience. And be sure to pick up some of our limited time offer Veneficus and blood sport merchandise. Do I seriously have to read this? It's boring."

"I can see you pretty girl." Her next fight had spotted her in the mirror and was now slinking towards her. Eyes on the mirror, she scanned him for weakness. Someone had taken a hack at his legs earlier. Red blood had seeped through his blue jeans. "Time to die."

He sprung around the corner but Reagan was quicker. Ready for him. She dropped into a crouch, swinging her sword from left to right.

"You fucking bitch!" His legs collapsed beneath him. Leaping, Reagan finished him off, twisting her sword till there was nothing left of him.

Sweat dotted her vision with stars.

"Cocky bastard."

"And there she goes again!" She'd quickly came to notice she'd become a favourite of Seth's. If only he knew he already knows me. "Who is blondie? A killing machine no doubt.  I've gotta learn these names. Ooh! And there goes Vlad Pavlov, off to do more dogging in heaven. But seriously, you should head to the concession stands."

She rose from her kill with a lethal grace, sword slashing through the air.

"Heads up to blondie, there's an army and a half headed your way... what do you mean I'm not allowed to do that? There're no rules to commentating."

Right, so she had that to prepare for.

And Seth wasn't kidding.

Vampires must've been teaming up to make sure they saw it to the end.

Reagan swallowed thickly.

This was a lot to take on at once. But she could do it. And if push came to shove, she had an ace up her sleeve.

"Watch out blondie!"

A hand snagged her wrist, tugging her around the corner.

Before she had time to sever the hand, the sparks had registered.

"This is shit! The ex-General strikes again. Killian kill-joy."

Killian had her pressed to a nearby mirror.

"You'd better not be getting me out of the way early on," She snarled.

"You're surrounded on both sides," He snarled right back.