CHAPTER 1

Within a second, the impenetrable darkness engulfing Kong Studios was fractured by long fingers of lightning. This wasn't uncommon in West London; the area was often associated with gloomy blankets of dark clouds and even darker smog.

Despite this, you found yourself shuddering with the rattle of the windows, huddling in a cocoon of miscellaneous rags and tattered blankets that faintly smelled of cigarettes and turpentine, listening to the steady, low growl of Murdoc's bass from beyond the brittle plaster wall.

The sound was a beautiful thing; resonant intensity. As you clamored closer to the wall, you felt the distinct vibration of his bass against your back.

From just a few notes plucked you identified the line as that of Super-fast Jellyfish. The funky rumble was stark contrast to the environment; a grim desolation that seemed to be home to only you in this dreary moment.

Instinctively you began humming the song to the groove of Murdoc's sound, gingerly tapping your finger against the impersonal coolness of the floor. The unintentional duet was practically a drug in your rattled brain; the anxiety fueled chatter of your teeth soon subsided, and you felt all tension be torn from your body as you shamelessly sung.

Mid verse, the rumble stopped, and was replaced by agonizingly empty silence.

You waited, expecting the melody to pick up once more, but not no avail. All you could hear were the fierce claps of thunder, the sheets of rain pounding against your window, and the sound of your own muted heartbeat drumming against your rib cage.

Swallowing, you rose to your feet. Your blankets were shed as you tentatively walked to your door, glancing anxiously down the pitch black corridor. Nothingness as far as you could see, except the occasional random cockroach darting across the floor.

Despite the darkness, you made out the faint silhouette of an open door; the room of strewn items, hazardously knocked over ashtrays, and most notable, Murdoc Niccals.

He always charmed you. Most would find his appearance appalling, but to you, his mop of greasy black hair, his gnarled facial features-were wildly attractive.

You first met when you came to Kong Studios to contribute your vocal talents to their upcoming album; you and Russell briefly knew each-other, so he recommended your voice for the album.

When you arrived in London, the band was waiting anxiously for you at the airport terminal, chatting amongst themselves. Russell was the first to spot you, and he immediately directed the bands attention to you.

"Well, that's a pretty bird if I've ever seen one," Murdoc chuckled, eyes twinkling behind his black bangs, "It's a shame she'll only stay a while."

2-D had a less charismatic introduction; he offered a weak smile, and raised his hand for a clumsy high-five, which you cheerfully took, despite missing.

After a break for airport pastries, Noodle and Russell had guided you to the Geep to begin your roadtrip to Kong.

That's how you ended up in a pitch corridor, peeking through Murdoc Niccals' doorframe.