Chapter 7

It took awhile for her to finish, but eventually Lexus got the wire replaced and her bike put back together. She was putting her tools away when the back door creaked open making her jump. She had completely forgotten she hid away behind the garage as an older man came out spotting her, like an Anak caught in the headlights.

"Whatcha doing back here?" He asked, his voice scratchy and low. The man spotted her bike and tools in hand. "Having your own private tune up?"

"Sorry, just needed some space and-"

He waved her off, shuffling toward her. "Ya ain't no arm or foul, don't worry." The man sat down in a chair by the door and sighed, probably from aches or kinks in his joints. "Needing some fresh air myself."

Curious, Lexus put her tools away and closed the seat compartment of her bike and approached him. "Thanks, I'm Lexus."

He nodded a greeting, "I saw ya roll on up here earlier, your ride all smoothed out?" he asked.

Lexus nodded, "Just a clutch cable, I seemed to have pushed it on the long ride out of the city to here." she sheepishly told him. "Are you Cid, by any chance?"

He chuckled, "That's my name." he confirmed. "Wondered how long till you figured it out, I know for sure you're Roland's niece."

She walked over to him, "You knew I was coming?" she asked.

"Sure did, that old uncle of yours contacted me. Made sure you arrived when you did, and you did. Although, he hoped for better ride conditions." He added, eyeing her bike she had just worked on. He rubbed his chin, leaning back with a grunt. "If it's gonna handle the road out here, might need an upgrade."

Her brows went up, arms crossing as she shifted herself to the side. "An upgrade?" Lexus questioned, glancing to eye her bike up like he did. "What kind?"

Cid got up with another grunt and made his way over, circling the bike. "I don't get much motorbikes around here, typical cars of classic and new." He stopped by the front wheel, rubbing his jaw line. "Could test and give it better wheels and headlights. You'll be driving at night, I suppose?"

Lexus walked over, taking a breath in thought. "My uncle warned me of the Daemons that come about at night, I'm hoping to avoid it during my travel."

"You'll need stronger headlights, pit stops are pretty far from each other. Best to be safe than sorry out here." He offered, raising his gloved hand toward her. "I'll give her an upgrade in return for a favor- No gil required."

If this was some random stranger that offered her the idea, she'd be highly suspicious of the conversation. But the fact he was an old friend of her Uncle's, she found no harm or foul by the idea of an upgrade. After all, her lights might be weaker than needed since she barely needed to use them with the city having the protective wall.

"What's the favor?" She asked, smiling curiously at the shorter old man.

He gave a raspy chuckle, resting his offered handshake on the bike handle. "I see you got yourself a weapon, maybe give it a taste by getting rid of some pests we get time to time around here." Cid patted the crossbow resting on her bike, then grinned at her. "Heard of Daggerquils?"

"Oh, yeah! Ajax taught me about the beasts out here." She told him, stepping over to remove the crossbow and strapping it to her back. "What about them?"

"Those pain in the ass things have been threatening to get a little too close to comfort toward Hammerhead. Kicking up dust and flying too close, expecting to see them outside the garage any day now." He explained rubbing the back of his neck as he took his seat once more. "If it's not too much trouble. Should be about one or two, enough for you to handle."