Chapter thirty three

"Yes, we would like to go ahead with this marriage and then, send," Mahesh said as he looked at his phone satisfyingly after he pressed the send button. The couple took the decision based on what they witnessed happening to Mahamaya but Mahamaya however, had no clue what they were talking about. She didn't remember anything they were saying. The last thing she remembered was Ayush holding a gun pointing to her and everything after that seemed to be blacked out. She did remember a headache though after she had woken up but it had cleared out within minutes.

Since she couldn't understand why her parents took this decision, because she didn't first hand witness things, her decision of agreeing was based on her earlier decision, that she would trust God from here onwards and do her best in everything. Mahesh was still not sure after that day but he took three days to tell that he was okay with this marriage and had messaged Viraj about that. He chose his daughter over his image in doing that, because not everyone wanted to be associated with a family like that. He knew he would get taunts from many of his relatives.

He instantly got a reply from Viraj, "We are going to come to your house for shagun today evening around 9 pm."

Shagun meant that some gifts and sweets would be exchanged from both the sides as it would be used as an occasion to fix the marriage, like an engagement, to confirm that the bride's family and the groom's family give their blessings to the to be couple. Shagun means good omen.

Mahesh sighed and facepalmed, before he called Viraj directly. The call was picked on the second ring itself, "Yes, Pappa?"

Mahesh frowned, not used to hearing the word Pappa from someone else other than Mahamaya, before he realized that it would be best if he got used to it. Sighing, he said what he wanted to say, "Don't you think everything is happening in a bit of hurry? We are yet to call our relatives and inform them about this wedding and she... my daughter will be called names Viraj. Try to understand a little."

Viraj frowned. He knew exactly what Mahesh was talking about. If a marriage was done in a haste, it was said that the bride is pregnant with the groom's child. So, no matter what the reason would be, the girl's image would get tarnished. The last time they were hurrying because they thought they were in danger from Viraj but now, they had no reason to.

Viraj said firmly, "I do not care what they say about my to be wife, Pappa. You shouldn't either. We both know the truth. Actually, this is just saakharpuda (engagement) so that we can meet all the family members from both the sides."

Mahesh sighed again and mumbled, "It will take our families three days at least to reach here Viraj and what is the hurry?"

This time, a sigh came from the other side of the phone as it was duly noted by the author that the father-in-law and son-in-law duo loved to sigh. Viraj's voice came from the other side, "Ayush Uncle is pushing me to do everything as soon as possible and what could I hide from you, Pappa? He is worried your family would back out."

Mahesh closed his eyes, wondering in what kind of family he was going to give his daughter to. They already knew it was a bad match and they didn't deserve Mahamaya. He suddenly became emotional as he asked Viraj in a heavy voice, "What about our wishes, Viraj? We have dreams about Maya's wedding too. She is our only child and would Maya be happy there? I want your promise."

Viraj was completing some paper work at that time but he froze when he noticed the shift in Mahesh's voice. Immediately, Viraj set aside the work, focused completely on the conversation and said in a firm voice, "Pappa, do not worry. I will talk to Ayush uncle. Take as much time as you want, invite anybody you want to invite and then inform us. We will also inform you about guests from our side. If it comes to Mahamaya, I promise I will try my best to fight the whole world for her happiness and well-being and I would die fighting. Please do not worry, Pappa. I know it will be a new environment for her and as a father, it is your job to worry but I will be with her all along."

Mahesh felt a heavy weight lifting off his chest. He smiled and said happily, "Okay, I will inform you when we would be ready and when we think we should arrange the engagement and the wedding. We will take our time because we want it to be grand. After all, it is my only daughter's wedding."

The excitement in the voice of Mahesh made Viraj chuckle as he went back to his paperwork and said, "As you wish, Pappa. If you have any wishes or if you need any monetary help with the wedding or otherwise, please do inform me."

Mahesh was left speechless. Normally, people would ask for dowry from the bride's family but here, his daughter's groom was offering the opposite. He finally felt satisfied that his daughter would be happy with Viraj as he said in the end, "I will remember that, son. Bye."

"Bye Pappa," a cheerful voice came from the other side because Viraj felt good to be finally on good terms with his to be father-in-law. Mahesh smiled, his face much more relaxed than before. He was fully convinced that no matter how dysfunctional or weird the family was, the boy was genuine enough and he would keep his daughter Mahamaya happy and content.

Hearing that her husband was not talking on the phone anymore, Indrayani came out of the kitchen and asked her husband, "Aho (used to address husband), what happened?"

Mahesh turned to her, a bright smile on his face, "They said, take as much time as we want to get our near ones here and then inform them. They will bring shagun for our daughter."

Indrayani smiled and said, "That's good. I hope Sadguru (deity) makes everything good."

"I hope so too but I already have a feeling that everything will be good, Indra. Like, we didn't do anything wrong to anyone and similar is the case with our daughter so we shouldn't worry. I believe Viraj will take care of our daughter for us."

Indrayani's smile widened as she asked, "Looks like father-in-law and son-in-law have bonded well."

That made Mahesh chuckle but he didn't reply and Indrayani understood that he was going through a mental turmoil, wondering if he should get along with someone who was going to take his daughter away or stay stern so that he doesn't dare mess with his daughter. Their daughter, however was Mahamaya and she was more than capable of fighting the bullies and Indrayani would be the mother-in-law so she didn't need to act strong or with a little air of attitude. So, she didn't face the same problem but Indrayani liked the image of a daughter's concerned father, their daughter's concerned father and she felt herself falling in love for the second time and it was with the same person, her husband...