chapter eight | epilogue

OCTOBER 9, 2019

7:02 PM

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆

"How are babies made?"

"Well kiddo," Michael sighed, finishing his last bit of steak from the plate of dinner lying in front of him. He pushed his empty plate away, turning to the pair of wide eyes next to him. "You see, when two people like each other, they hook up, find a private place and get naked so they can-"

"Michael!" Bailee slapped Michael's shoulder, watching him smirk a little as she turned back to the little boy across from her at the table. "Logan, what daddy means to say is that the mommy goes to the doctor's. She gets a shot and that shot makes a baby pop into her stomach."

"I hate shots!" Logan squealed, hurling a little in his chair. "Do you remember that one time you brought me to the doctor and he gave me a princess band-aid?"

"Well, this is a different kind of shot that gets put into a different kind of place," Michael smirked, watching Logan shovel mashed potatoes down his throat. "But it's more like this buddy," he demonstrated, holding his hands up and curling his pointer finger and thumb together so he created a circle. He then held up his other pointer finger, beginning to bring it towards the circle until Bailee slapped him again.

"Logan, honey - you're five. You don't have to be worrying about having babies," Bailee smiled while narrowing her eyes at Michael, collecting the three empty plates from dinner and standing up from her chair.

"Well, there's actually a really, really, really pretty girl in my class named Rosie," Logan said loudly, watching his mom walk over to the kitchen sink with the plates. "I think I want to marry her."

"Oh," Michael smirked, putting his elbows on the table and resting his chin on his palms. "What does she look like?"

"She has really white skin and has yellow hair and really pretty blue eyes," Logan blushed, his voice trailing off as Michael ran his fingers through his son's dark brown hair. "How did you ask mommy to go on a date with you, daddy?"

"Well - uh - she actually didn't like me at first at all," Michael sighed, smiling at Bailee from across the kitchen. "But we spent lots of time together and-"

"-What would you do when you guys spent lots of time together? When me and Rosie spend time together, we usually play house with this weird kid in my class named Nathan," Logan asked, looking up at his dad with his big, brown eyes.

Michael looked at Bailee, who stared back at him with wide eyes. "We - uh - played checkers."

"Yeah," Bailee smiled nervously, struggling to tell Logan the full truth and played with the fact of checkers referring to sex. "Lots and lots of checkers."

"How did checkers make you guys fall in love?"

"Well, one time while playing checkers, mommy accidentally got a shot from the doctor's and we had you. We were planning on just being friends, but we couldn't raise a baby with just being friends," Michael explained, watching Bailee quietly laugh to herself as she scrummed a dish.

And that was true. Michael and Bailee had vowed to remain friends - nothing more and nothing less. But when Bailee found out that she was pregnant after their two weeks of sex that occurred at least twice a day, they couldn't be friends anymore. They had to be together in order to secure the life of the baby since neither wanted to give it up. They never married or anything, just promised to remain dating for Logan's sake. Michael had been questioning proposing to Bailee since his other three ex-bandmates had gotten married after the band split three years ago, but it never felt like the right time.