Mind & Spirit

A Queen in Body, Mind, and Spirit Part 2

A.N: Guess who did the writing? Me! So sorry this took an unimaginable amount of time but here you are! Hope it's worth the ridiculously long wait (seriously tho if I was a reader of my own writing and had to wait this long I would have murdered myself thu my screen y'all are angels).

Word Count: 1,574

Read on Ao3 or Tumblr at the same username!

*****

At the banquet, it was all you could do to sit there without fidgeting. People kept coming up to the high table to congratulate you, and you were so nervous all you did was smile and nod. It took Legolas coming up and wishing you well before leaning down to whisper something to Aragorn and pinching your arm at the same time to make you remember you knew how to speak.

Aragorn, thankfully, seemed equally nervous. He'd clearly thought more about this hairbrained scheme in the time since proposing it to you, and that thinking hadn't done his confidence in it any good. But he was the one who'd gotten the two of you into this mess in the first place, so he had to deal with it.

"You know..." you said, leaning over to Aragorn, "I've been thinking we should do some sort of performance. Or an announcement. Something to make this seem extra official."

He looked at you like you'd sprouted a second head.

"You want to do something to draw even more attention to us? Why?"

You shrugged. "It seems like something we should do? But honestly, my ass is starting to hurt from sitting down for so long."

He snorted, and quickly tried and failed to conceal it with a not-so-elegant cough.

"Fine. Let's dance," Aragorn said, before rising and offering you his arm.

"I had something a little more along the lines of sneaking out of the banquet and going to sleep in mind, but I guess dancing works too?"

You grabbed his proffered arm, letting him help you down the steps from the raised dais where you'd eaten onto the dance floor. As you walked to the center, you saw Legolas rise and tap his spoon against his goblet.

"The king and his betrothed would like to dance!" Legolas declared.

With that, every eye in the room that wasn't already on you—which was admittedly few— looked at you. And you stood in the center of the room, alone except for Aragorn, waiting for the band to start playing.

The band began, strings of notes floating down to your ears as Aragorn placed one hand on your waist and clasped your own in his other. Your other hand rested on his shoulder, careful not to crush his cape. You began to move together, stepping slowly until your feet started to remember the pattern and you picked up speed. You spun around each other, all the other dancers on the floor falling back to simply watch the two of you move in complete harmony.

Aragorn whirled you around the dance floor, spinning you out with arms always there to bring you back to him. Neither of you really knew what specific dance you were doing, you just let the music take you with the other. The music swelled to its apex and you began a circle of spins on your own, your only point of contact your hand clasped with his above your head, his other arm always there to catch you. Revolving only through the light touches of your feet on the ground, the exact right touch happening almost as if by magic to propel you through. And as you finished the twirls he clasped your waist once more, steadying you as you danced with him again.

As you moved together his hand crept from your waist to rest on the small of your back, drawing you in closer to him. Your own hand traveled up to rest on the back of his neck, bringing his head down until your foreheads pressed together. You looked into each other's eyes as you slowed your movements, breathing in unison as you pulled apart to silence from those watching.