22 - Midnight Coffee

Jungkook’s eyes lift from his computer screen once hearing the soft knock from the outside of his office door, already knowing who it was from the light sound and petite shadow seen through the blurry glass of the door. 

He doesn’t budge, flickering his eyes back to the report that his assistant had sent him earlier in the day. 

“Come in,” 

The door slowly creeks open and he briefly glances up to catch Eunji’s head pop into the room. 

“Are you busy?” he hears her ask, catching the hesitation in her voice. 

“Would you leave if I said yes?” 

He doesn’t get a reply, and instead leans back into his chair as Eunji pushes the door open further, the light from the hall spilling into his dark office that was only illuminated by the single desk lamp resting on his table. He notices the two mugs that she held, his curiosity peaking. 

“What’s this?” he askes just as she placed his mug onto his desk. 

“Coffee.” she replies, taking a seat on the arm chair across from him. 

“I don’t drink coffee-”

“After eight, I know.” he hears her finish off his sentence before sighing and taking a breath, looking up at him. “It’s decaf.” 

“Ah,” he nods, “Is there a reason for the decaf coffee at midnight?” he adds, picking up the mug and taking a sip. 

It takes her a moment to reply, their eyes locking momentarily before hers fall to the floor. 

“I wanted to say thank you.” she finally mutters out, holding her mug between her two hands as he notices that she’s now dressed in her lama pjs. “I know what you did earlier must have been hard for you, but I’m really grateful.” 

“You’re welcome.” 

Eunji looks up and notices that his eyes lingeres on her from behind his desk, the soft blue light from his computer illuminating his features in the dark. 

“Will your relationship with your parents be okay?” she finally asks, “I mean, as much as I don’t get along with your mother, I don’t want to be the reason-”

“Everything will be alright, Eunji.” 

Jungkook’s tone comes off softer than she had expected, being caught off guard with his reassurance too. But with the way that she looked at him with innocent doe eyes, clearly still upset with how their evening had turned out, he knew that she needed it. 

He takes a soft breath in and places his mug down onto his hard wood desk. 

“As much as I hate interfering with my mother and I’m aware of how far she goes, but what she said tonight was very inappropriate and I apologize on her behalf.” 

“And thank you for standing up for me.” 

“And as I said before, you’re welcome.” 

They both share a look before Eunji breaks her eyes away, staring down at her mug as she traces the pink rim. 

“I just wish they would go back to how they used to be.” she mutters just loud enough for him to catch her quiet voice. “Everything was so much more peaceful.”

And he couldn’t help but agree. 

Everything up till the announcement of their engagement was fine between their mothers. They would even be considered decent friends, especially because of how often they would see each other due to their husbands being old friends, but Mrs.Jeon’s true colours really come to light when Eunji and Jungkook stood up at the dinner table one night and declared their plans to get married. 

And everything from then on went down hill once Mrs.Jeon was hit with the fact that her one and only son would not be marrying a super rich barbie girl that she believed he deserved. 

Eunji on the other hand, would argue otherwise. But that, she would not tell. 

“Do you think it will ever get better?” Eunji asks after a moment of silence between them. 

“It’s almost been a year already,” Jungkook sips his coffee, “I doubt it.” 

Eunji leans back against the arm chair, pondering on the matter with a little bit of hope. 

“But maybe she was hoping that we would change our minds. And now that we’re married, maybe she’ll learn to accept it?” 

She hears a small chuckle leave his lips as they curve at the corners. 

“My mother will never learn to accept anything that she didn’t want in the first place.” 

Eunji groans, a pout making it to her lips. 

“But there has to be something we can do-” 

“There’s nothing we can do, Eunji,” Jungkook sighs, his eyes telling the truth with the way they looked into hers, “My mother is very stubborn and stuck in her own ways. We’ll just have to be more careful with the matter.” 

 There was more truth to his words than what Eunji was willing to accept.