Chapter IV- Trust

𝒮𝑒𝒷𝒶𝓈𝓉𝒾𝒶𝓃

The library door creaked open and the pair crept down the stairs. The excitement and nervous energy were palpable.

"Cast the disillusionment charm," Sebastian whispered, "just in case."

The girl's blank stare was enough of an answer. "It's an easy spell, just follow me."

Of course, she got it first try. It was almost unfair how quickly she was catching up to her peers. It would not be long until she was top of her class.

"Great job, Burbank. Now the fun part." Sebastian slipped through the final door to the library.

Madame Scribner's dry cough rang through the empty library.

"You said she'd be asleep by now," Silver hissed.

"I said she was usually asleep by now. Don't tell me you're not up for a little challenge."

Silver's sidelong glance at Sebastian was unmistakable, even in the low light of the closed library. She blinked slowly at the boy before returning her gaze to the librarian.

"Well," she said, "Let's get this key."

"I will cause a distraction while you grab the key. It is in the center drawer of her desk."

Sebastian walked to the corner of the library furthest from Scribner's desk. He shot some basic casts at the bookshelves to create just enough of a fuss that the old witch would need to take a look around, but not so much chaos that she knows there are students in her library.

As planned, she made her way over to the corner. Sebastian hid a few bookshelves away and watched Silver snag the key and run back towards the restricted section. He made his way to the locked door and met Silver. She couldn't see through his disillusionment charm and Sebastian saw the perfect opportunity. He tugged on the back of her sweater sharply, earning a jump and scolding expression when she located him.

"What are you waiting for, Burbank?" Sebastian removed his charm, standing next to Silver and nudging her gently. "Unlock the gate before Scribner wanders over here."

Silver's eyes looked into Sebastian's softly. "Right," she responded leading the way into the restricted section.

Sebastian checked his surroundings while Silver made to walk ahead. He spotted the grey lady around the corner that his companion was about to turn. He lunged forwards, grabbing her by the wrist and pulling her away from the ghosts line of sight.

"What's this all about," she hissed in a hushed tone.

"There is a ghost around the corner. She won't be fooled even by the best of disillusionment charms." Sebastian looked at her trying to keep his cool. He hadn't realized that he still had a tight grip on her wrist until she was twisting it away from him.

"We'll just find a way around."

The pair managed to distract the ghost and avoid many prefects. When they reached the lowest level of the library, both dropped their disillusionment charms.

"What book is it that you need? I'll start looking as well." Sebastian ran his finger along the dusty covers of the long-forgotten books in this section.

"I don't exactly know," she admitted with a nervous glace over her shoulder.

Sebastian snapped his head towards the girl with a piercing look. "You roped me into your suicide mission I see. We don't have the time to look through this entire section."

"It's hard to explain," she said walking away from the boy, "the ancient magic this book contains draws me to it. I can feel where it is."

"Right. Feeling where it is. Sound perfectly normal and not at all demented." He followed close behind her, curious to see what kind of ancient magic this could reveal. Maybe the kind that can save Anne.