Chapter 1

Brielle hated coming home. She should have been happy to see her parents. It was her older sister's birthday that week, which meant a nice outing with dinner and drinks. However, that also meant an entire night of her mom watching every bite she ate. When Briella would reach out to get an appetizer offered, she could hear her mother say the tsk under her breath. Which in turn would have Brielle pulling her hand away awkwardly and ashamed.

Abigail Katherine was an immigrant whose family moved to the united states. She was a beauty queen. She grew up in a strict household, was cheer captain and prom queen, and was on her way to being miss USA. That was until she married well and got pregnant, and her dreams left. She was married with three children, two girls and a boy. Brielle and her sister Genevieve spent years competing with each other. 'Be the best,' their mom would scream as she made them walk with a book on their head for perfect posture. 'You should always think like you have a string on the top of your head leading you.'

Brielle hated it, but she had done it. She played the role of an excellent second daughter to the best of her abilities. Their mother signed them up for modeling when they were young. Her sister got her first job quickly, which took Brielle a few auditions. Their mom always liked to pit the girls against each other to motivate them. Brielle just wanted to get away from them. It was a lot easier to deal with the pressure and favoritism of her parents when she moved out.

While always traveling back and forth for work, she liked to keep quiet in her lovely home in Missouri. It was strange she owned a property in California that Brielle stayed when she was in town for work. When she wasn't, she rented it out. However, she liked being away from everyone. No one cared about her in Missouri. There weren't grown men screaming her name with flashing lights in Missouri. Occasionally she'll get the teenage girl to come up and ask for an autograph, but it's mild. It was quiet and warm but lonely at times.

Brielle knew the main reason she moved to Kansas City, of all places, was because of her best friend, Trinity Defour. Brielle loved the girl since their first Dior campaign together. Trinity was the only person besides her boyfriend, Isiah, to know about Brielle's life with her parents. Brielle has spent many mornings at their house just hanging out. Trinity was her person. This is probably why Trinity and Isiah make sure she goes to their home to eat anytime she returns to Kansas from California. Brielle heard a bell ding, taking her from her thoughts as a text message came through. Trina's name popped up, which had Brielle roll her eyes.

'Breezy! Girl, you up?'

Brielle snorted with a smile as her thumbs flew over her phone. 'I am. I get on my flight in about an hour nonstop. I should be back home a little after 1 am.'

'Good! Isiah is having a little get-together before the start of the season's practice tomorrow. You're coming, no buts. Get home, sleep, and be at the house around noon.'

Brielle couldn't help the laugh at her friend. While some would call her bossy, Brielle always saw it as a sister thing. It was like when Isiah had to leave for work or games, and Brielle made Trin leave the house so she wouldn't think about it.

'Okay.' She typed sending it first. 'Do I need to bring anything?'

'Your bathing suit. Isiah said no, he knows you don't get to eat at your mom's, so he said come earlier, and we'll get breakfast.'

'You guys don't have to do that. I can stop before I come by.'

'Hahaha, he said you are a liar 'cause you won't. But you'll have to suffer and spend more time with us! XOXO'

'Love you! I'll let you know when I take off! XOXO'

Brielle loved her friends more than anything. The fact that they cared about her meant the world. She didn't want to get sentimental, so Brie finished packing and headed down to say goodbye to her parents. It was okay, she kissed her on the cheeks, and her father hugged her. It was a little disheartening when her mom looked her in the eyes and reminded her that Brielle needed to be good and stick to her goals. Brielle nodded, a lump in her throat, but she got out without an incident.