chapter eighty-seven

BROOKLYN NEVER THOUGHT she'd confide in Rafe, not again after all that had happened between them.

She never thought she'd find herself stuck in here in the first place, nevermind with her ex-boyfriend, or whatever he was to her in the first place. She still didn't trust him, she didn't trust that he would help her out in the end and that she would be stranded on this island and captured again while he cruises away on his boat.

However, she also has a small plan in mind.

Rafe and her made a plan to get into a "fake" argument that would convince the guard outside their room to come in and check on them. Brooklyn would then lay down on the floor to make it look like she was unconscious from where the guard was standing.

This would make him come closer to investigate, giving Rafe enough time to smash the door into the guard's face and punch him to the ground. Brooklyn snatches the gun he drops to the ground, hands Rafe the bed sheets to tie him up and Brooklyn trades the gun for the phone with Rafe while the two leave the room.

Brooklyn uses the phone to take a picture of the same picture that Singh was looking at yesterday, hoping it would be helpful for future use.

Rafe and Brooklyn sneak outside and spot a pick-up truck carrying wood take off from the home. That gives Brooklyn an idea on how they can definitely get away from this place. She drags Rafe through the trees, up and over the fence and then the pair are met with the back of the truck, which gives them enough time to climb on.

However, they are unfortunately met by a man who is ready to attack them. Rafe steps up in front of Brooklyn, moves her away and goes in to attack the man. He sends one or two punches to his face, tackles him to the ground before throwing him over the side of the truck.

"Rafe!" Brooklyn snaps, watching as Rafe pants and sits himself down, exhausted.

As her and Rafe are sat in the back, being driven along, Brooklyn hears the sound of church bells. The same familiar sound that her father would use to call her and John B home whenever they were out fishing. She shakes her head, knowing that it was probably nothing and that she needs to focus on getting off this island safety.

Her and Rafe hide underneath some sheets while the truck gets checked out by a couple of guards. Once they hear the all clear, Brooklyn can finally breathe, knowing that they were one step closer to being safe.

"I told you we just had to work together," Rafe tells her once they pull the tarp off from over them. "All right. Listen, I'm headed out to my boat, okay? I can give you a ride out, drop you wherever, somewhere safe. One thing though. Look at me," he begs.

She looks over at him, not at all interested in spending however long on a boat with him. "I know your friends are on the island and my sister. I'm not helping them. All right? I can't trust them, okay? I'll give you a ride out, not them. Okay?"

"I just want to get off the island," she says.

"That's smart," he replies. "You know, I never thought of you as a Pogue."

"What did you think of me as?" she asks, suddenly curious as to what he means by that.

He chuckles, his eyes finding hers. "I mean, you know I always liked you, Brooke. You're not like your friends, you know?"

She just chuckles and he laughs. "You talk a lot of shit about hating Pogues, you know?" When he nods, she continues, "But you dated one so what does that make you?"

"Wouldn't say we dated, Brooke," he replies, his face completely blank.

"Then what would you say, Rafe?" she asks but he doesn't reply.