Chapter Twelve

The faint whir of the air conditioner was heard in the dimly lit space, scents of chicken and jollof rice filling the entire room. This was the least busy we had been all week and I was starting to get a little bored.

I sighed, glancing down at the screen in front of me and reading over its contents for what felt like the hundredth time—the prices of meals, our specials, account details—what you would typically expect from a chicken republic checkout point.

I thought back to the argument my mother and I had a few weeks before, me insisting that I take on a job to support the family and she being strongly against it.

It had taken days of pleading before she reluctantly accepted, making me promise that I wouldn't let it affect my studies, and I eagerly obliged.

It has been over a month since my father had been diagnosed and he hasn't left the hospital since, with my grandparents footing all the bills. He grew weaker and weaker by the day and I wondered how long he would have to endure this agony—how long we would have to go through such agony.

Light joy-filled laughter brought me back to the present and I looked up as a young father led his family of four into the restaurant.

I gazed wistfully at them, a bittersweet smile on my face as I remembered when I was younger and my father had taken us all to a nearby fast food restaurant for the first time. I had been so excited when my father asked me to pick anything I wanted, pointing eagerly at the beefy hamburger.

When the plate arrived I almost jumped for joy, shifting it away playfully when Ezidi reached for it. I eventually split the burger in two and gave her a piece, smiling as her eyes lit up when I handed it to her.

I turned to my father and he was smiling at me, pride in his eyes, and my smile grew wider.

I sighed wondering how all that joy could've faded so quickly, threatening to never come back.

I shook my head, trying to clear it as the family drew closer. I forced the biggest smile I could muster onto my face, hoping that the pain I felt inside was hidden behind it.

''Hello," I greeted. ''Welcome to Chicken Republic."

*

The night sky was dark and unforgiving as I stepped into our home, locking the door behind me. I collapsed into the first chair I spotted and let out a deep sigh, utterly exhausted.

Between school, work and staying at the hospital with my mom it felt like I had no breathing space.

I guessed that she was already there, coming in right after closing her shop and not leaving till the next morning. I always met up with her, tending to my father's needs whenever she needed rest, and that night was not going to be an exception.

I decided to rest a bit before I set off, but suddenly remembered the portions of my notes I was yet to study.

Groaning, I reluctantly rose from the seat, picked up my bag and trudged into the bedroom.

I met Dozie reading a book on our shared bed, Ezidi fast asleep beside him. He glanced my way when he heard me walk in and sat up, putting the book aside as he regarded me.

''You look tired,'' he remarked, his gaze turning worried. I shrugged in response, trying to play it off as nothing, but the yawn that escaped my lips moments later gave my fatigue away.

I dragged myself to our little workspace and plopped down in the chair, bending over to out the books I intended to use.

After a moment of silence, Dozie spoke up.

"Nkemdi," he said.

"Hm?"

He paused. I looked up to see him hesitating, as if contemplating if he should say what was on his mind or not.

Finally deciding to speak, he opened his mouth again. "Do you ever...?" He shook his head, trying again. "Do you ever get scared? For daddy?"

I wanted to comfort him, to tell him that I wasn't scared because I knew everything would be alright, but I couldn't bring myself to say the words.

So, I stuttered, my mind searching for what to say. Coming up with nothing, I sighed.

I rose my eyes to meet Dozie's, certain that the fear in his eyes reflected my own. "Honestly, Dozie," I said. "I'm terrified."

Dozie released a shaky breath, resting his back against the wall. "I worry sometimes," he confessed quietly. "About what would happen, how things would be if... if...''

I nodded, not needing Dozie to go on for me to understand. "I know that this is difficult, but we can't keep thinking about it like this."

He didn't answer, his head hanging low. I heard light sniffles coming from where he sat and I faltered at the sight.

Clearing my throat, I quickly regained my composure. "Hey," I called out, making him lift his head to face me. "We'll get through this, okay? We just need to be strong. For daddy."

Dozie nodded, a ghost of a smile gracing his lips. "For Daddy."

I smiled as well as Dozie picked up his book and laid on the bed once again, then turned back to my work.

''Nkemdi?'' he called. I hummed in response. ''Aren't you going to get some sleep? You're looking quite tired."

I glanced back at him, that same worry on his face, and flashed him an assuring smile. "Don't worry about it," I said. "Trust me, I'm fine."

He stared at me a while longer, as if trying to detect if I was lying, then sighed and nodded, returning to his book, the words echoing in the air.

I'm fine.

But as I returned to my studies, the faint sound of rustling serving as a backdrop and the dull ache behind my eyes throbbing more and more each passing second, a part of me wondered just how true those words were.

*

What is one memory that takes you back to your childhood?

Comment, vote, enjoy!
And have a wonderful day.