Chapter 1: The Norwoods (& CinderSage)

Spring of 1896...

Spring has sprung in the Kingdom, from the milkmaids to the blacksmiths, from the greengrocers to the Sericultures. Everyone was getting ready for this year's spring. The Saucer Magnolias, Red Horse Chestnuts, Early Bird Purple Crape Myrtles and Daffodils, and Grape Hyacinths were blooming around the Kingdom. 

We are now set at a cottage just a few miles away from the Kingdom, this cottage is the residents of Charles Norwood, who passed away from influenza that hit last Winter, almost wiping away half of the Kingdom's population including Her Royal Majesty, The Queen. At the front of the cottage entrance, there's a scullery boy with beautiful red hair, but not just any scullery boy, it is Sage, who is now called CinderSage by his Stepfamily. He was wearing ragged clothes covered in Cinders and Ashes that his Stepmother forced him to wear. He put on his heavy wooden shoes and walked down to the Kingdom to get some groceries for dinner tonight. 

Down on Market Street, he passed by The Local Bakery and looked at the Display window, he couldn't help but lick his lips at the sight of the pastry goods,

Sage wasn't allowed to have any sweets, and his Stepmother strictly told him to get groceries and not ridiculous sweets, the Baker displayed the iced rolls and Sage swallowed the hunger and carried on with his chores

Sage wasn't allowed to have any sweets, and his Stepmother strictly told him to get groceries and not ridiculous sweets, the Baker displayed the iced rolls and Sage swallowed the hunger and carried on with his chores. After an hour of shopping, Sage returns to the cottage, he goes to the kitchen and puts the groceries away, goes to the living room, and grabs the broom next to the fireplace where he sleeps. He started sweeping when Douglas came in wearing a gray suit jacket, a button-up shirt with a pink bow tie, tan plaid pants, and a skimmer hat, he was carrying a croquet mallet.

"Hello, CinderSage," Douglas said,

"Good afternoon, Douglas," Sage said,

Douglas was about to put his hat on and was about to go on his way, but then he looked at his younger stepbrother in pity. Douglas is not like his other more youthful brother, Andy. Douglas is like Sage but taller and blonder, he doesn't like the fact his mother and Andy are treating Sage as a Scullery boy, and he wishes he could have enough courage to stand up for Sage. 

"CinderSage..." Douglas said,

Sage looked at his older stepbrother as he stopped sweeping, Douglas placed his hat down on the living room table,

"Could you..."

"Polish your shoes, do your laundry, and press your best shirt."

Douglas put his croquet mallet down and went over to Sage, 

"No...Cinder..." Douglas said, not liking that awful nickname, "Sage...I already pressed my shirt. You look tired, you should probably take a break.

Sage's eyes widened in fear as he shook his head, Douglas could tell that he was afraid of something and he didn't have to guess who it was,

"Doug, you know I can't take breaks, Stepmother wouldn't allow me to have any. She'll put me in the attic with the mice if she catches me," he said,

Douglas put his hand on to Sage's should and gave him a sympathetic look,