Chapter 2

Trigger warning: This chapter mentions parental death from drug use.

Two days after Tori asked Jade to go on a date, the two meet at a coffee shop for a quick lunch. While Tori is waiting for Jade, she orders a black coffee with two sugars and a caramel frappe. She's smiling as she spots Jade enter while scrolling on her phone. As Jade sits, Tori leans over to kiss her, but she dodges the kiss.

Frowning she asks, "What's wrong Jade?"

"Tori, we can't do this anymore."

Tori's face drops. Although she already knows the answer, she asks anyways. "Can't do what?" They've done this before. They talk, have sex, things are going good and then Jade backs off. Hot and cold, always throwing Tori for a loop about what went wrong.

"Tori." Jade sighs. "You know what I'm talking about."

Face full of disappointment Tori asks, "Why though, is this because of the little girl? I'm sorry I know it may have been a lot but I didn't know what else to do. It won't happen again ok. I'm sorry."

"Tori. I can't. You, us, this...it just reminds me of all the painful things I've been through and the worst parts of my life."

"Maybe for you, but that's not how I see us. You saved me. This thing that we have reminds me of how lucky I am to have met you and you...you are the reason I have faith that we will be ok, that all the pain was worth the bigger picture. That bigger picture is us finding each other. Us saving each other. Most importantly, us loving each other. And I love you, Jade. I always have and I always will."

The two sit in silence until Jade says "Here is your key back. I'll see you around."

Tori nods, takes her key and leaves. Why does Jade always do this, why can't she just let herself be happy, Tori thinks.

It was harder for Jade than it was for Tori to believe someone might be telling the truth when they say they love her. Tori had never had anyone say it before Jade came along so it was easier to believe. But Jade, she heard it all the time. From her dad who left her when he left her mom. From her mom who told her she loved her right before she'd trade Jade's body in exchange for drugs. She used to believe that when people said they love you they had to mean it. But as she grew up, she realized a lot of people just throw that word around. She realized her mom's love wasn't real love but instead addiction love. Ever since her mom died been she's skeptical about accepting 'love' from people and believing she is a lovable person. Her mom didn't love her enough to stay alive so how could anyone else truly love her.

Yes, Jade loves Tori but she can't accept the fact that Tori loves her. She can't deal with the feelings she has when she's around Tori or how she always runs to Tori when she's feeling overwhelmed with emotions. She's scared to accept that Tori genuinely loves her because once she's out of denial that opens her up to be hurt again. When Tori realizes that they aren't good for each other. That them in a romantic relationship will never work because they are both too damaged.

The day after the "breakup" Tori is at home watching reality tv when she receives a phone call. 'Incoming: Jess'

"Hey Jess, what's up? I'm not busy tonight, why? Like a date? Uh yea, sure why not. Ok, see you then."

Tori sits on the couch tv forgotten thinking about what just happened. Yes, she loves Jade, and she wants to be with her but, she can't keep doing the same thing and expecting Jade to not runaway when she's feeling things instead of talking about them. She can't keep letting Jade hurt her.

On the other side of town, Jade arrives at a crime scene. She was called in because there seems to have been a break in that resulted in two deaths. As she canvasses the scene she heads into one of the bedrooms and what she sees makes her blood run cold and she stops in her tracks. Before her lays the body of a young woman with a needle and drugs laying on the bed beside her. No doubt her death is the result of an overdose. This sight takes Jade back in time to when she was 7.