Reflections

"And you're sure he understands the situation? He knows his limits?" Daadi had already asked Indu Daasi the same questions twice already, but despite the younger woman's reassurances she still felt conflicted about the plan they had set in motion.

Her cousin-sisters had convinced her that this was the best course to take. Abhi and Pragya both needed a shock to their systems. They were dealing with an urgent situation with far too much hesitation. They needed to be faced with what a future without each other would really look like.

And Pragya, at least, needed to be given a better option than pining after Abhi for the rest of her life.

That was why Angad had been invited to Mehra mansion. He would have the five days until Abhi's tentative wedding with Tanu to woo Pragya - and make her realize that only Abhi was the right man for her. In the meantime, Abhi's possessiveness would hopefully force him to take stronger steps to solve the Tanu problem.

If, somehow, Abhi and Pragya did not behave as expected, then Angad was ready to really marry Pragya. He wasn't there to play with her feelings. If she agreed to the marriage, there really would be a double wedding in the week ahead.

Daadi dearly hoped it wouldn't come to that.

She didn't want to believe that Tanu was pregnant, or that if she was pregnant, that Abhi could be the father of the baby. But even if all the tests were true - and it was hard to believe they could all be false - Daadi didn't think Abhi and Tanu should get married.

There had to be some solution other than that.

She had tried talking to Abhi, Pragya, Tanu and even Tanu's parents to find some compromise that could suit everybody. But Abhi was adamant that he wasn't the father and shouldn't have to do anything about the situation. Pragya was insistent that Tanu and her baby deserved a proper place in the Mehra family. Tanu threatened not just abortion but suicide if Abhi wouldn't accept her, and Tanu's parents had claimed that they couldn't interfere with their daughter's decisions.

With none of them being reasonable, Daadi was left with the underhanded road as her only option.

And though Daadi hated to play games with the lives of her children, she didn't feel she had any other option.

"I promise Didi, he is a good boy. He knows exactly what to do and what not to do. And he is very, very good at what he does. TV star bas yunhi nahin ban gaye, (He's not a tv star for nothing)," Indu Daasi said. Her pride in Angad's achievements shone through in her voice - as well as her conviction that their plan would go as intended.

"Phir bhi...Indu, humein aise nahin karna chahiye," (Still...Indu, we shouldn't do this) Daadi said, still unable to quell her doubts.

"Arre! Didi, you have to stay strong. If you show doubts, then what will happen to Abhi and Pragya? Waise, how did Abhi take it when you explained that Angad is here to court Pragya?"

In her mind's eye, Daadi saw again how Abhi's face had flushed with rage. For a moment he couldn't even speak, and when he finally did his voice sounded just barely controlled.

"This cannot happen, Daadi," he had said, his declaration firm and his tone deadly serious. "Pragya is my wife. I will tear Angad to pieces if he even thinks of marrying her."

She had been heartened to see such evidence of his attachment to Pragya. Taking it as a sign that their plan would work, she had recruited her resolve and continued playing her role.

"You will do no such thing," she had commanded. "Pragya has gone to great lengths to assure your future, and it's only fair we do the same for her. Angad is a good man, and if they get along -"