Chapter 4

• • • New Orleans, May 1821 • • •

"How handsome you are, young master Marcellus." Charlotte gushes as she buttons his jacket up for him. She and the boy both knew he was more than capable to do so himself but she loved to dote on him and he loved her affections.

Marcel grins at the woman who was kneeled in front of him. Charlotte's kindness was in stark contrast to how he had been treated in the years prior to meeting Niklaus and his kind family.

"Thank you, Charlotte." Marcel shyly leans in to press a swift kiss on Charlotte's cheek.

"You are very welcome Marcellus. Now, I think Master Niklaus is looking for you. Something about going out into the city together?" Charlotte's voice is teasing as she tickles Marcel's stomach briefly.

Marcel lets out a joyous laugh before running off to find his adoptive father, eager to spend time with him.

"You spoil him." A voice calls out behind her.

Charlotte turns around and swiftly bows her head to greet the man. "Apologies, sir. I did not see you there."

"You didn't answer my question." Kol remarks as he gazes interestedly at the many bright colored stains on Charlotte's apron and skirts. She must have been in Niklaus's studio earlier, a concept he disliked quite a bit.

"It wasn't a question, sir." Charlotte fires back before offering the man an innocent smile.

Kol lets out a playful groan, he did like it when she used formal titles with him, especially in that sarcastic tone of hers. "Hmm, right you are. Fine, let me reformulate. Why are you insistent on spoiling him?"

Charlotte resists the urge to narrow her eyes at Kol, he almost sounded jealous. "Because he is a child who has known little love and affection up until now. He's a kind young man, deserving of lots of laughter and affection."

"How philanthropic of you, darling." Kol comments wryly, barely stopping himself from rolling his eyes.

Unable to stop herself she blurts out the first thought that comes up in her head. She had seen Kol's impulsive and destructive behavior up close when he awoke from his subdued state and knew what the man was capable of when in a foul mood. "You're not going to harm him, are you?"

"My dear Lottie, do you believe me capable of injuring Nik's... son?" Kol slowly takes a step towards Charlotte, who in turn shuffles back a little. She enjoyed playing this game as much as he did. He grins when she quirks an eyebrow. "Yes, it's probably best if you don't answer that question."

Staying silent, Charlotte takes another step back as her eyes remain focused on Kol's. His intent gaze warmed her cheeks and she nearly curses as she bumps into the dresser. The blush only worsens when Kol takes a firm hold on her arms to steady her.

Charlotte closes her eyes for a mere second when Kol nuzzles at her temple, lips brushing over her cheekbone, before turning her head slightly to look Kol in the eye again.

"You really like him." Kol remarks when he notices he can't distract Charlotte with the small affections which usually make her melt.

"Although I am nothing but a simple maid-"

"You are not just a maid, darling." Kol intterupts at once.

Charlotte smiles softly at Kol, appreciating his reminder. He had often enough reprimanded her for talking down on herself. Yes, she was a maid, and yes she was a woman with little rights, but she was also his great love. Although that is what he claimed and despite her sensible and sober state of mind, she preferred to believe his version of reality. "I shall rephrase it. Although I am no family of his or share the same standing, I am very fond of him."