Well, this is awkward

I swam back to land in the morning. We'd stopped arguing and talked, swum and looked at the stars. Grace was my best friend, but some things she just didn't understand. And I don't know why, because she was once human. I remember when she told me she was born in the 1700th century. It took two weeks before I believed her. Mermaids don't age. It still feels weird to come up to the surface and not need to take a deep breath. What most people don't know (because they don't know that mermaids are people who died at sea) is that we don't breath at all. It's not like we breath water and air, we are dead so we don't need to breath.  I dragged myself up at land and waited for the tail to transform. It did after a few minutes.

I just sat there in the sand. I don't know why, but the last couple of days I've been craving the ocean. I hadn't slept at all that night and it only took minutes until I did.

I woke up from being shook. "Oh my god. Avalon! Are you okay?" someone shouted. I opened my eyes slowly and tried to stop the person from shaking me. Blaze let out a sigh. "Are you alright?" he asked worried. "I was just asleep." I mumbled. He looked shocked and let go of me. "On the beach?" he asked coldly. "In your bikini?" He started getting up and walking away from me, towards the public part of the beach. "Wait, Blaze!" I shouted and ran after him. "What's wrong?" I asked when I reached him. There was many people here already. Mostly teens. He suddenly stopped walking. "What's wrong? We were on a date, yes, it went a little bad, but then I come to check on you and there's some guy with you in your house." he says and starts walking again. "We used to play together as kids!" I said. He looked at me for half a second, but then he continued walking. Where was he even going? Probably just away from me.

Suddenly we walked right into someone. I looked up and saw the last person I wanted to see right now. "Oh, sorry!" Jordan said. Blaze and I had both fallen to the ground. Blaze looked up and rage flashed in his eyes. We both got up. Blaze was about to walk off, but Jordan stopped him. "I don't think we got along very well last night." he said. Blaze just looked at him. "But I'm not trying to steal her away from you. We had a conversation in under ten sentences and she still managed to bring up that she was dating you." Jordan said. What? Stop! I screamed inside my head as I felt my face heat up. I noticed Blaze looking at me. I barely dared to look at him. But he wasn't angry anymore. No, he smiled at me. I couldn't do anything but smile a little awkwardly back at him. Jordan looked from Blaze to me. "Okay, so I'm gonna go now. See you guys later." he said and wandered off.

I'm gonna kill him for leaving me with Blaze in this awkward situation. I rubbed my arm and looked to the ground. I had forgotten that I was only wearing a bikini. This just got more and more awkward. "So, um, are we.... I mean are you mad at me?" I asked without looking at him. "I mean, you were mad because you thought I had something going on with Jordan, right? Now you know I don't. I don't feel anything for him, I like you-" I kept on going until I felt his hands on my cheeks and his lips on mine. I could even feel his smile. I placed my hands on his sides and kissed him back. "I've never seen you that nervous." he said with a smile as he pulled away. His smile gave me butterflies. "Yeah, I don't think I've ever been so nervous. " I said, making his smile grow wider. "I'm sorry" he whispered and pulled me into a hug. "I know, but you don't need to be." I said and heard him sigh in relief.

"Okay, lovebirds. Avalon you better get some clothes on and get to work!" Kai shouted from the smoothie bar. My head snapped to see Kai with an angry daddy look on his face. Blaze grabbed my hands, making me look at him again. My heart raced as he leaned in for another kiss. His lips met mine. "Hey, don't make me come over there!" Kai yelled.