~¶Fifty Two¶~

~Dead To Her~

"What has gotten into you, Jovita?" Isaias gasped, walking down the rest of the staircase as quick as his long limbs would allow. "How dare you hit her?"

He had gone way past being patient and possessing self control. Any wrong move and he was going to do something they would both live to regret.

"Do not speak to me in such condescending tone ever again. There's only so much bullshit I can take and this is the limit." The make up did nothing to hide the ugly wrinkles that appeared on her forehead as she furrowed it in anger.

Aurora finally let her hand drop to the side, replying with twice as much venom. "How else do you want me to speak to you? Tell me!"

The woman's voice broke as she opened her mouth to speak. "The fact that I made a horrible decision does not make me less your mother. I gave birth to you and that remains. You can not speak to me in whatever tone you wish. Yes, I left my family for someone else but it was my choice and I'll forever regret making it." Her tone was ladened with sadness that could be felt.

At that moment of vulnerability, Nicolas wanted to reach out to comfort her but he stayed put instead, defying natural instincts. Instead, he placed his hands over Aurora's shoulders in a way of consolation. The action was supposed to show her that she had done enough but it was obvious there were a lot of other things on her mind. She shrugged off his hand.

"Now you think I can't talk to you in that manner because you gave birth to me? You're wrong. I can give birth too. Anyone else with a uterus can." Tears slipped down her face as she spoke but she didn't stop there.

"You lost that respect a long time ago. You lost that respect the moment you stepped out of this house to some other family, never to return. You are dead to me. Read my lips, Dead." Aurora spelt out with emphasis on the last word. Whirling round, she dashed up the stairs with more tears blurring her vision as she went. Their father followed immediately.

Nicolas shoved his fingers deep into his pocket. "Exactly what I was trying to avoid. Thank you for showing up. We really appreciate it but we need you to leave. We were fine without this drama until you walked in."

The tears began spilling uncontrollably from his mother's eyes at his words. Her shoulders shook with each shuddering intake of breath she took. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hit her."

"It's fine. Your hand has a mind of it's own. We get it." He stated with sarcasm dripping off the tip of his tongue but she was too upset to notice.

She produced a small handkerchief from the small jeweled purse that was clutched to her bosom. With that, she dabbed at her eyes and blew her nose. She looked earnestly at her son. "Your sister will never forgive me. I'm sure of it." She moved closer to him before he could jump out of the way like before. "Help me speak to her and explain that I am sorry. Even though my actions do not deserve to be forgiven, I apologize for it."

Nicolas had other ideas instead. He peered closer at her face with his head tilted in a piercing observation. He took the small hanky which was squeezed in her cold fingers and proceeded to wipe the left side of her face with it. When he was done, he was filled with appallment at what he discovered.

There was a purple black mark right on her cheek. Wiping her face some more, he discovered they were actually fingerprints clearly imprinted on her face. His teeth gritted in anger at that and it wasn't because she was his mother. It was because he had a principle that no woman deserved to be to be hit irrespective of her actions. He only felt a small ounce of pity for her because she was the one who single handedly put herself in this mess.

"It's your husband, right?" He made a not so wild guess.

She nodded, falling into his arms as more choked sobs escaped her lips.

°•°•°•°•°•°

The last four hours were the most tedious his family had found themselves in. The sudden appearance of his mother after years of deciding abruptly to put an end to her occasional visits, the bitter words she and Aurora had exchanged, followed by the slap she had given in anger when Aurora crossed the line. It almost caused a ruin in what first seemed to be a perfect Friday afternoon for fun.

Maybe things were not to be taken at just face value.

It was seven thirty already and Dolores was seated on a couch with her feet stretched on the centre table. She was munching away on the pringles he offered her, oblivious to the calamity that happened a few hours ago. Her phone was in front of her and Adelina's face was on the screen, leaving him the chance to gather the goodies he had prepared for the night. His father had decided to leave the house to see his old friend, Damian, as well offer them privacy. He also mentioned he wouldn't be returning anytime soon.

Aurora ambled into the living room looking really good in a white bandage dress and blue strapped heels. She had shed off the incipient countenance of a tigress about to tear down anyone in her way. A more angelic smile graced her features and as always, she looked eighteen instead of fifteen.

"How do I look, Nick?" She asked, twirling round. Her grin was splayed wide. Luckily too, there was no mark to remind her of the ugly incident. If he didn't want her to attend the party before, he was more than willing to let her go now. Hopefully, it would help to take her mind off things.

"You look good." He stated simply, refusing to give complements like a girl. At least, she didn't resemble one who had been crying for most of the afternoon.

"Don't be mean, Nicolas." Dolores chided as she walked over to them. She gave a sharp smack to his arm in retribution, then turned to coo as she fan girled over Aurora's dress. "You look terrific in that dress. Do a little twirl in it. Oh my goodness, you look hot."

"Thank you so much. You're a lot helpful when you're around unlike some people whose sole aim is frustrating me to the very root of my hair." She joked as she sashayed to grab her phone charging on the wall next to the stairs. "By the way, Nick, I'll be staying over at Christie's since Dolores is going to be here tonight. I don't want to bump into two people humping on each other like their lives depend on it."

Nicolas immediately threw a can of pringles in her direction which she dodged. "Get out of here." His face was impassive. "Call me if anything goes wrong. If you spot any shady activity, bail out of there fast. Remember to be safe. Stay away from pools and red cups. Boys too. They're bad ideas, especially the last one. Got that?"

"You said I should stay away from pools, red cups and bugs. Got it." Aurora listed as she made her way over to the door.

Nicolas groaned. "No, you dumbo. I said boys. Stay away from boys."

"Bars?"

"Boys."

"Boils?"

"Boys! Stop playing." He ordered, already fed up of his sister.

"Buns, right. I don't like them but I'll try not to eat those. Got it, bye!" She added hurriedly, breezing out the door before Nicolas could get another word in.

"Go drop some jaws, Aurora!"Dolores shouted after her before turning to Nicolas who didn't seem impressed. "What? Your sister is a peculiar human." She commented with a smile on her lips. It was to tease Nicolas.

"Shut up. Don't start. Help me grab the other stuffs so we can get this in my room quickly."

Dolores looked at the items with a satisfactory nod. "Not bad. You remembered all I mentioned. Let's see if you fail in the Netflix category."

After he had all the doors locked securely, they grabbed what they needed and headed on their way to his room upstairs.

~~~{•}~~~

Sorry I made this a short chapter.
It was very much planned though. I wanted y'all to give yourselves a little rest and knead your reading muscles for another dose of drama.
Hehehe

Leave a vote if this was your best chapter yet
~~Chignature~~