Chapter 1

"Richard! Hurry up!" Ginger called from the hall. The gangly young man sat on his bed. He sighed and ran his hand through his hair. He surveyed his room and the boxes stacked therein, some open, some already closed and sealed. It was the end of an era for him. He was leaving almost everything he knew for a new life with his new parents. "Richard, please!" Ginger pleaded, standing at the door.

He looked up at his mother and gave her a sad smile. Her expression softened. She went to his side, sat down next to him, and gave him a squeeze. "I know it's hard, Richard, but look at it this way. In a little while we'll be back in Florida with your cousin and friends."

"I know it's only been a few months, mom, but it feels like I've spent my entire life in this room. I never thought I would miss it this much. This room. This house. Now that moving day is here..."

Ginger didn't say a word. She held him tight until it felt like the moment had passed for him. Then she brushed the hair from his eyes and gave him a brave smile. "Try not to think too much about the past, Richard," she consoled him with moist eyes of her own. "Think about new beginnings and our new life."

Richard mulled that over. He had more doubts than certainty. "Do we really have to drive to Florida, mom? It'd be so much easier if we just hopped on a plane and were there in a few hours."

"Oh, Richard, sometimes you surprise me. I would have thought a road trip would be exciting for you."

"Maybe some other time. Right now, I just want to get there fast."

Presently his father appeared at the door, "Hey, what's taking so long? The movers are waiting, you aren't finished  here yet, and you still need to finish packing Colton's room as well, Richard."

"Why don't we have the movers finish the packing?" Ginger asked, coming to her husband's side.

"I just want it done."

"Dear..." Ginger squeezed his hand the way wives do and he knew right away that the battle was lost. "Okay, I guess. But, Richard, time's a-wasting and I want to be on the road before the evening rush hour."

"I'm almost done, dad," Richard volunteered. He handed a large box to his father. "There's just this one by the bed and one or two boxes worth in the closet."

Morton Thornberry took the box from his son and set it down before taking him by the shoulder and leading him out of the room. "Listen, Richard. As long as the movers are doing Colton's room," he sighed, "they might as well finish up here, too."

"Really, dad?" Richard looked up and smiled at the man.

Morton patted his back. "Absolutely. Come on. Let's get out of here."

As Richard and his father waited for his mother in the front hall, his father suggested that he check the car for something. He opened the door slightly, then slammed it hard. Braced against the door, his hands on the jamb, as if he were trying to bar whatever lurked outside from entering, he gasped breathlessly. "Dad, there's a limo in the drive."

His father was about to answer his son when his wife appeared. Worried that some new crisis had arisen. "What happened?"

 "Oh," Morton rolled his eyes, "Richard saw the limousine."

"But I wanted to be here when we told him. I missed it."

"I'm sorry, dear. I wasn't thinking."

"What's going on?" Richard scrunched up his nose. "What's happening?"

"It's nothing, Richard," Morton sighed. "Your stupid father spoiled the surprise. That's all."

"What surprise?"

Ginger shook her head, "We aren't driving to Florida, dear. We're taking the Striggen corporate jet. The limo is here to take us to the airport."

"But...taxes."

"It's part of my severance package, Richard. The company pays moving and relocation expenses, and we get to use the company jet for one final time to go anywhere we want."

"You mean that we could have gone to Europe or Asia?"

"We could have but we knew how you felt."

"So, Florida it is," Morton smiled.

Richard thought about that for a moment. "Mom? Dad?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Next time I demand something..."

"Yes?" his parents smiled and answered in unison as they loomed over their son.

"Nothing. Nevermind."

"Well," his mother sighed as she looked around one last time, "goodbye, house."

His father put his arm around his wife as he led her to the door, "Goodbye, home."

"Goodbye to the only place I've ever known."

"Richard!"

"What? I thought that's what we were doing."

"Okay, young man, no more reading Colton's children's books for you," Ginger laughed as she locked the door. 

Mr. Thornberry was helping their driver put the few remaining suitcases in the trunk of the limo when he stopped him. "I'll take that," he said, relieving the driver of the package in his hand. He went around and opened the car door. "Here you go, Richard. Something to make things a little easier for you."

As Richard took the squishy package from his father, he looked at his mother puzzled. "What's this?"

Ginger smiled back at him. "Open it." 

"Pajamas?" he asked, giving the package a squeeze.

"Richard..."

"A bathrobe?"

"Open it already!"

Richard started to carefully unwrap the gift and then thought better of it. He ripped the paper away, revealing a large fluffy teddy bear. "I love it!" he exclaimed as he buried his face in the stuffie's luxuriant fur. "Thank you, daddy! Thank you, mommy!"

Richard's reaction caught the driver's attention. His stern, nonverbal expression of disapproval didn't go unnoticed by his father either. "To the airport, McConnel," Morton barked, "and keep your eyes on the road."