002

The boneyard, the only place where Kooks and Pogues could be in the same place without absolute war breaking out

The boneyard, the only place where Kooks and Pogues could be in the same place without absolute war breaking out ... at least most of the time. Riley rarely found herself in the cut, the Pogue side of the island, but it didn't matter she was at the kegger because she wasn't the only Kook there.

The teenage girl parked her dad's truck, which he had graciously allowed her to borrow for the night after saying she was going to the Cameron's, behind Topper's Jeep. She watched as her friends climbed out of his car and she quickly joined them with a bright smile on her face.

"First kegger in a while, ain't it?" Topper walked up beside the brunette, swinging an arm around her neck and messing with her hair. She swatted at his hand and stuck her tongue out at him once she had been released from his hold.

The truth was, Riley hasn't been to a kegger since the night three months ago, the night things happened with JJ.

"Certainly is." Riley offered a measly smile at the boy as a pit settled into her stomach, the memories suddenly swimming to the forefront of her mind. He was about to respond when Sarah took off running towards the lifeguard stand. Helplessly he gave Riley a look to which she responded, "go get your girl."

She rolled her eyes laughing as Topper ran after Sarah like a puppy dog. She loved them together, loved that her two closest friends were finally dating after she had felt the tension between them for months. She was still worried, though, about how quickly Topper would fall in love... and how quickly it seemed Sarah would fall out.

She needed to rid her mind of all these troubling thoughts; she needed to get something to drink. Her eyes scanned over the beach in hopes of finding the keg. Unfortunately for her, a familiar blonde head of hair was passing out red solo cups filled with beer to a large crowd of people.

"Hey uh, can you go get me a drink?" Riley asked Kelce, not yet peeling her eyes away from the blonde. Kelce followed the girl's gaze toward the keg.

"Got a problem with Maybank?" Kelce asked the girl. "Did he do something to you? Cause if so-"

"No, no Kelce, it's nothing. I just uh..." the girl trailed off, not able to make up a lie quick enough to recover. "I just don't want to interact with those Pogues ya know?"

Kelce just shrugged before walking towards the group of people to get the girl a drink. She knew he had always had a crush on her, Topper had been telling her for years, and while Riley had always loved Kelce, that love had never extended as more than just a friendship. She couldn't help but friend zone every guy that had ever been good for her, that had ever been kind to her. She knew it was an issue, but there was something about her that had always sought out the thrill, even if it was terrible for her in the end.

As the brunette's eyes continued to scan the area, the look that Kiara gave her did not go unnoticed. She rolled her eyes before retracting her attention away from her twin and back to Kelce who was extending his arm to hand her a red solo cup.

The kegger went on as normal. Riley talked to a few tourons, none seeming to be worth her time. She chatted with Sarah when she could steal her away from Topper's arms for a few moments. Riley made it a point to stay clear of Kiara and her friends, not wanting to create any trouble, and just generally not interested in having to speak with any of them.

"You're so funny, man!"

Riley's attention was ripped away from the touron she had been talking to and she shifted her gaze to where all the commotion was coming from, laying her eyes upon JJ who had grabbed Topper by the collar, only to push him away in one swift movement.

"Dirty Pogues," Topper seethed, causing John B to immediately charge at the boy.

"Fuck," Riley muttered under her breath before rushing over to the group.

"Babe, babe, babe," she heard Sarah plead as she approached the action.

John B fell to the ground and Topper kicked his side, earning a grunt from the boy. "Hey John B, don't make me drown you like your old man, alright?" Topper said before kicking him once more. Riley winced at his comment. It was a bad habit of her best friend's to always take things a little too far when it came to the Pogues.

The crowd continued to cheer as Riley peeled her eyes away from the two fighting boys to glance at her sister, a worried look on her face as she helped Pope hold JJ back. Suddenly, John B stood up and ran towards Topper, pushing him to the ground.

"Stop you guys," Kie called out. More punches were thrown as the two boys continued to fight on the ground. The commotion dulling for just a moment, Topper and John B regained their balance and circled each other, fists up in the air.

"Come on!" John B practically demanded.

"That's what I'm talking about!" JJ called out. Riley rolled her eyes at his encouragement for the violence. Topper suddenly swung again, his knuckles connecting with John B's jaw. Swinging again, Topper missed this time and John grabbed onto his arm and threw him into the water. The two tackled each other before Topper got a good grip on the boy, pushing his face into the water.

"Topper! Stop!" Sarah cried out and Riley looked over to her friend, complete concern taking over her mind.

By the time she glanced back to the boys in the water, JJ was standing behind them. Riley blinked a few times before finally believing her eyes. JJ was holding a gun to the back of Topper's head.

"Yeah, you know what that is," JJ gritted. "Your move, broski."

"Put the gun down!" Sarah pleaded. Riley could barely hear her friend's voice over the sound of her heartbeat in her ears.

"Did you say something princess?" the blonde continued to taunt.

"We're good, we're good," Topper said. JJ finally lowered the gun and Topper fell from beneath him. Riley let out a breath she didn't know she was holding, the blood rushing to her head making her feel dizzy.

"Okay everyone, listen up! Get the hell off our side of the island!" JJ heaved out before shooting the gun twice in the air.

Everyone started to run at the sound of the shots. Riley almost started running herself as she watched her friends trail off to their car, but she let her gaze fall upon her twin who was marching right up to the psycho with the gun.

"JJ!" Kiara yelled, pushing at the blonde's chest.

"Are you crazy? You idiot!" Pope shouted.

"Kiara!" Riley yelled and the three immediately turned their heads to look at me. "Let's go!"

"What? No," Kie snapped. Riley began to walk quickly over to her twin, grabbing her by the wrist and pulling her away from the boys.

"What the hell," Kiara attempted to wiggle out of Riley's grasp. "Let me go!"

"We're leaving," Riley gritted through her teeth, not daring to glance at the other two boys or the one that was still lying in the water.

"I'm going home with them!" Kiara said.

"You're going home with them?" Riley repeated. She stopped walking and turned to face her twin who she had been attempting to drag along. "You're going home with the maniac who just shot a gun? Are you fucking serious?"

"That maniac is my friend, and he has a name," Kiara spat. She hated it when her sister wouldn't refer to her friends by their names.

"Oh trust me, Kiara, I'm well aware of his name, " Riley said, glancing over at JJ who pressed his lips into a thin line as their eyes connected. "Now we're fucking leaving, let's go."

With one last attempt, Kiara struggled to get out of her sister's grip but failed. She looked back at her friends with an apologetic face before trudging along with Riley to the truck.