i. invitation to a mundane life

author's notes:  so i haven't been on wattpad in like 3 years how is everyone? i need to blab for a bit before the story, so bear with me; i promise this'll be my longest authors note.

i've kept my distance from wattpad because i feel like this is the site for either multi-chapter stories or drabble collections, neither of which i write. but since i've finally crawled my way out of oneshot hell, i figured i should brush the dust off this account and post here!

i started this when perilous trail was xiao's latest appearance, so consider this canon divergence from that point on.

this fic doesn't focus on any romantic relationships; however, the dynamics between characters are definitely up for interpretation.

i don't think this story is violent, but it does constantly reference xiao's past so. yk. take that as you will.

this fic is also on ao3 and under the username 'pxlarizing.'

--------------------

CHAPTER WORD COUNT: 4278

ESTIMATED TIME TO READ: about 20 minutes

--------------------

Amber gingko leaves flutter from the trees of Mount Aocang into the lake, leaving ripples on the water. Xiao watches the coral angelfish twist around plumb reeds; frogs sunbathe on the rocks, croaking intermittently; and a lone qingxin flower sway, sprouting impossibly from the fissures in the rock. He turns his head to the clinking of ceramic; Rex Lapis sets an empty cup and saucer across from him on the stone table. "Have a seat."

Hesitantly, he lowers onto the stool. Rex Lapis lifts a steaming teapot, leaning forwards to pour into Xiao's cup. "This is a simple blend of qingxin tea, scented with flowers from the peaks of Qingce Village. I hope it is to your liking."

While the god pours his own tea, Xiao weaves his fingers under the handle of his cup, letting the heat from the liquid seep into his palm. Rex Lapis nurses his own cup between his hands. "It has been many years since we last convened like this. Now that I have stepped down from my duties as the Geo Archon, perhaps we can meet more often to simply chat."

"If you wish," Xiao agrees softly-then more firm, "but I had a purpose for meeting with you today."

The floral fragrance of the tea wafts between them. Rex Lapis raises his cup to his lips, taking a long sip. "Another time, then. You may speak."

"I want to thank you," Xiao says, "for saving my life once more in the Chasm."

At that, Rex Lapis sets down his cup with a clink. "The credit is not mine alone. It was your sacrifice that opened a gateway to that dimension, a gateway I merely took advantage of."

Xiao drops his gaze to his teacup, watching the liquid swirl slowly. Thin threads of self-consciousness prickle at his chest along with an unsteady suspicion that he misstepped; it seems Rex Lapis has denied his gratitude. The god does not say more, letting the tension linger in the ambiance, and Xiao eventually fills the silence with a respectful, "May I ask a question?"

"Of course."

Xiao lolls his tongue around his mouth as if chewing his words. "Were you aware of what I would discover down there?"

Rex Lapis leans backwards, closing his eyes. "If by that you mean was I aware of the chaotic nature of that space, then yes. When high concentrations of Celestial and Abyssal energies intersect, the space around them is affected. However," he opens his eyes, "if you are referring to the truth behind the lost Yaksha, then no. I'll admit, I was just as curious as you. The Yakshas' service to Rex Lapis is one that can never be paid back. It is only right that you, as well as I, immortalize their tales."