41. Rising Desire

Mitsi hummed happily to herself as she and Mina made their way down a quiet street. It had been a busy morning at the orphanage, as one of the older girls had officially been adopted. She'd specifically requested that Mina and Mitsi be there to see her off, and had procured a promise that they'd come visit her sometime.

    Mitsi would happily oblige and she fully intended to make sure Mina did too. They had both promised, after all. "I'm going to join you at the House of Wind this afternoon," Mina said presently. "Corbin is showing me a few more moves with my dagger and he wanted to use some of the training dummies there."

    Mitsi furrowed her brows, casting a sidelong look at her sister. "All right."

    Mina's gaze flicked to hers. "What?"

    "I didn't know you were training with him. When did that start?"

    "A few days after he gave me the dagger. He offered to teach me how to use it and I agreed."

    Mitsi couldn't quell the annoyance that flared within her. She's been training with Corbin that long and still complains about me training with Lysander?

    "I know what you're thinking," Mina said. "And it's different. Corbin and I don't spend much time together outside of training, whereas you and Lysander are spending more and more time together."

    "I don't see why you and Micah have such a big problem with..." Mitsi paused as Mina held up a hand and continued speaking.

    "I'll admit we've been a little overbearing the past few weeks, and I'm sorry, Mits. We're trying to look out for you. That's all." Mina breathed a sigh and smoothed dark hair back from her face.

    "Truthfully, Micah and I are worried he's just using your attention to make him feel better about himself. We know how easy it is for you to become attached to someone, and I don't want you to end up hurt because you expect something from him that he isn't able to give."

    "I don't expect anything from Lysander," Mitsi protested. "He's my friend, and if my attention makes him feel better about himself, I'm glad. I think he needs that assistance. He hasn't done anything to hurt me yet and I don't believe he will."

    "But it's obvious you feel more for him than just friendship," Mina pointed out. "I don't want you to be hurt when he doesn't return your feelings."

    "What makes you think he won't?" Mitsi couldn't keep the biting edge from her voice.

    "Corbin has told me about Lysander's aversion to relationships, and I told you what happened to the last serious relationship he was in. Besides, isn't he occasionally seeing that High Fae female?"

    Mitsi raised her chin and looked away, trying to piece together a response. It had been a little over a week since Lysander revealed that Azalea had ended their relationship. She hadn't passed the news on herself, knowing that wasn't her place, and if Lysander had told anyone, she didn't know.

    However, Mina was her sister, not a random stranger. She didn't think Lysander would mind if she told Mina. After all, everyone would find out sooner or later. Mitsi pursed her lips, then answered.

    "Just because he's not interested in a relationship now doesn't mean he won't be in the future, and it certainly doesn't mean he's incapable of returning my feelings. Besides, Azalea ended their relationship."

    "Was it because of you?"

    "I don't know and I didn't ask. Lysander only told me that Azalea wished to break things off and he agreed. They're simply going to be friends."