026

"Y/n," Lord Naruto says, his voice stern but with a hint of concern. "Why didn't you tell us about Haruk—about you being a vessel? Why didn't you tell us about anything? You can trust us!"

"I was scared," I reply, my voice barely a whisper. Kawaki reaches for my hand and intertwines our fingers, his touch sending a rush of warmth through me. "That's all there was to it. I thought I could deal with the problems I caused, with my burden to bear. Seems as if I was wrong."

"Mm, yeah, you were wrong," Naruto responds with a sigh. "But we're here to help you. Always remember that."

"Thank you, Lord Hokage," I say softly, leaning closer into Kawaki, seeking comfort in his presence.

"But other than that, the reason why I called you two here is to ask you to go on a mission. It's only two days—a train there, sleep overnight, and come back home by train," Naruto explains.

"Why are you sending her on a mission? When I was younger, I didn't get any missions because I used to be Jigen's vessel," Kawaki says, sounding confused but still cautious.

"Because, Kawaki, Daisuke said that he doesn't sense Katsushikki in Y/n anymore," Naruto says, which makes my heart sink. Is he really gone? Forever? "So this mission is to see if there's any of Katsushikki's chakra left in Y/n."

"He's gone," I say softly, the weight of my words sinking in.

"Well, we're not too sure—" Naruto begins.

"So all the pain I endured was for nothing," I say, my voice laced with regret.

"No, it wasn't, Y/n, because no matter what happens, you have people here to support you," Naruto says, his voice gentle.

I look down at the wooden floorboards, my sorrowful eyes reflecting the guilt I feel for all the pain I've caused myself and the people closest to me. Despite the relief of knowing Katsushikki might be gone, there's still a lingering sense of loss. The burden of her presence was unbearable, but it also became a part of me. Now that she's gone, the emptiness is almost as painful.

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

"Are you sure you're not gonna kill me?" I say softly laughing while my head is laid against his shoulder.

"I already said no," He says letting out a deep laugh leaning his head against mine and wrapping one arm behind me over my shoulder, "I guess you're stuck with me."

I close my eyes and lean further into him and the train continues to drive to our destination. He attempts to bring me closer but to his avail he can because the sides of our bodies are already pressed together as close can be. I felt him kiss the side of my head making butterflies arise in my stomach.

"Your hair smells good, coconutty, vanillary," He says smiling with his lips still pressed against my head.

"Kawaki, I don't think 'vanillary' is a word," I say laughing making him laugh in return.

"I love you, I sure do hope you know that," He says with his laugh dying down and rests his head against mine once again, "And that I'd never hurt you."

"I know Kawaki!" I say with the smile still etched on my face as I felt myself slowly drift asleep, "I love you."

"You're so beautiful."

Were the last words I heard before I fell asleep as if it was the first time I was really happy.

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

"I didn't think that the owner of the scroll we have to get is also the owner of the bathhouse and the inn," I say, a bit puzzled as we stand at the front desk, waiting to check in.

"Yeah, I know, right?" Kawaki replies with a smirk. "I swear, Dad is just giving scrolls to anyone who doesn't look suspicious."

"Hokage going crazy," I say with a breathy laugh.

"Hey, I'll check us in for the night and then get the scroll. You can go into room 3," Kawaki offers.

"Alright! Do you want me to bring in your stuff?" I ask, but before I can finish my sentence, Kawaki leans in and plants a gentle kiss on my cheek, sending a rush of warmth across my face. My cheeks flush a soft rose pink, and I turn my head away, flustered.

"Don't do that," I say, burying my face in my hands to hide my embarrassment.

Kawaki chuckles softly, placing his hands over mine. His hands are larger than mine, enveloping them completely. He gently pulls my hands away from my face, but I still try to shy away from him.

"Stop moving around," he says sternly, his deep voice sending butterflies through my stomach and lower abdomen. He cups my cheeks, his soft eyes locking onto mine. The setting sun through the window casts a warm glow, making his gray eyes even more captivating.

"Kawa—" I begin to say, but he leans in, resting his forehead against mine, his closeness causing my breath to catch in my throat.

"If you keep holding your breath, you're gonna faint, princess," he says, his voice low and teasing. I can feel his minty breath against my lips.

"Oh shush," I say, trying to regain my composure, but it's hard when he's this close. I close the gap between us, my lips pressing against his, feeling his teeth gently bite into my lower lip, making me gasp. Kawaki takes the opportunity to deepen the kiss, the warmth in my lower abdomen rising.

"Well, isn't this lovely!" says a new voice, sounding elderly and full of amusement.

Kawaki and I quickly pull apart, turning to see a short elderly lady behind the counter with a bright smile on her face. The unexpected interruption makes my heart race with embarrassment. Where did she even come from?

"Young love is always so beautiful!" she says, beaming at us.

I tug on Kawaki's coat, pulling him back to reality. "I'll be in the room," I say, trying to hide my embarrassment.

"Alright, I won't be long," he replies, giving me a gentle kiss on the forehead. I leave quickly, my cheeks still flushed, grateful for the excuse to escape the watchful eyes of the elderly lady. This mission might be routine, but it seems like it's off to an interesting start.

---

remeber to vote and comment

edited; 04/may/2024