Grace

Song: Grace by Lewis Capaldi

"Shh, it's okay baby, don't cry."

Nymphadora Tonks Lupin bounced Edward Lupin in her arms.  The baby fussed and cried as she tried to soothe him.  "Please don't cry Teddy," she begged softly, ignoring her own building tears.  "It's okay."  After a while he listened, still fussing but no longer crying out loud.

"Dora?"

Dora plastered a smile onto her face and looked up, wiping the tears away.  "Yes Mum?"

Andromeda Tonks sighed softly, not believing the smile for a moment.  "You do not have to hide for my sake Dora," she said sadly but kindly.

The smile melted away and the tears returned.  "I'm not hiding," she said unconvincingly.

"It is okay to cry."  Andromeda sat beside her daughter and drew her into her arms.

"What about you?" Dora sniffled, melting into her mother and letting her tears fall.

"I cry too," Andromeda murmured, rubbing Dora's back.  "Merlin knows we have plenty to cry about."

It was barely a week after the end of the Second Wizarding War.  Lord Voldemort, Tom Riddle Junior, was dead.  He, along with his Death Eaters and supporters, had attacked Hogwarts, school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  He met his end there and the majority of his followers had met their end as well.  Those that survived were in the process of being dealt with by a rebuilding Ministry of Magic.

The survivors of the other side, the ones that opposed him, were trying to rebuild themselves.  The jubilation in winning and surviving the war had started to fade now that everyone saw the magnitude of the destruction.  The Ministry had been burnt to the ground in terms of governing.  Many places had literally burnt to the ground as well.  Everyone had lost someone, family and friend.

Edward Tonks had run to try and spare his family from harm.  Targeted for his Muggleborn status, he left to spare them from being harassed and persecuted.  He died far from home and family.  Remus Lupin had joined the fight at Hogwarts and died there, fighting against Voldemort and his ilk.  Dora had left to join him, leaving her infant son with her mother.  She could have easily died with him.  She almost did, saved at the last moment and spared.

It took her days to heal and she was still suffering from the injuries inflicted by the battle.  Her body still ached and she was having trouble with her magic.  She tried to push away her physical pain as much as she could.  She was having difficulties taking care of Teddy and Andromeda, much less herself.

She and Andromeda were doing their best but she knew they were struggling.  They were so wrapped up in pain, physical and mental and emotional, and were doing their best for each other and Teddy.  She also knew their best was waning.

"Oh Mum, what are we going to do?" Dora whispered.

"Our best," Andromeda said but her voice was also slightly desperate.  "We will do our best, however we can."  She looked up all of a sudden, making Dora flinch.  "Someone's at the edge of the property," Andromeda said.  "I can feel the ward."

"Are they trying to get in?" Dora asked, hugging Teddy close.

"No..."  Andromeda's fear became curiosity.  "They did but stopped when they felt the resistance."