Besotted

Jisoo looked at tae hyung like he was her God. Like the heavens had declared him celestial and omniscient and he could do no wrong. All of her hunger and devotion came from him and naturally, that's where they ended, much like how rain always ends up in the clouds, because paths that have been tread upon for so long have a way of attracting travellers. Some would say it was inevitable and natural, others thought it to be inane and boring. Either way, they continue to be worn down.

Jisoo walked that same road even now as she looked at tae hyung on their bed sleeping soundly,only ever in front of her, peaceful in a way that daylight never saw him.she ran her hand down the ridges of his back and traced all the soft lines cutting across its plains. This was a favourite pass time of hers, at least while he was sleeping, and she took great pleasure in being one of the few people he would allow this close. Laying there she was reminded of a conversation they had had with the council just a few days ago about war efforts in the north where they were being attacked. It made her smile.
For some reason she couldn't help but think that if someone wanted to kill him this would appear to be a very opportune time. After all he was only with his lover, alone, in his bed chambers with no security. Almost too easy.

Except it wasn't.

Jisoo got out of bed and pulled on a robe in the darkest of mesh. It wouldn't do to stain some thing lighter,like peplum or maybe mint. Those colours would look gorgeous in the hall during his crowning ceremony, she thought off  handly. Too bad it wasn't the time for decorations.

She walked up to the balcony and looked out over the lands and the gardens and the peacefully sleeping town beneath a sky that had probably seen better days, She was kind of regretful that maybe she had helped in making the world what it was today,  But also beneath that same sky lay her taehyung and this balcony and the assassin lurking in the tendrils of flowers climbing up the wall.
She smirked and walked back in, the balcony door thrown open as if in challange.

It was true that people die and they will continue to die, but a whole empire would have to fall before they got to her love. She was sure the assassin had come prepared, no one would dared walk into her palace without extreme caution, and she was also sure they had known about the ones before them who had never returned. She again wondered what made all of them think that they would be the ones to survive when no one before did. Arrogance she'd assume. No matter, as long as they took her challenge. Which they would, she was sure of it.

And just as she had predicted, the man walked in, brandishing a dagger covered in something so potent it could threaten an immortal. Too bad she wasn't one. And you don't fight a snake with poison.

He probably thought that with her delicate frame she couldn't do anything, maybe even entertained a fantasy or two about abducting her after killing her love. It was hilarious.

No king sleeps without a guard, and she was the only one he needed. She would remain when no one else would so that he could dream without having to worry about them being snatched away from him.

The king despite his reputation had never killed a man, and he would never have to for as long as she lived. He would not dirty his hands because hers already held an ocean of blood, it would not matter if you dropped in another drop or a gallon, they are still nothing.

So when the morning came, she would hold him and tell him about the assassin, who would already be dead (and if she lied about which family sent the assassin so that he would purge those truly harmful, well, then that was her compensation) and he would be thankful and smile at her with those soft eyes, his mouth whispering his gratitude. It made her so happy to think that.

But now was not the time.

Now she had a duty, and the morning was far.