02

"I don't know why you don't want me like I want you."

Ja'Naira Arají Monáo (mo — nay —oe)Memphis, Tennessee

Memphis, Tennessee.
A year later.

2. Ultimatum

___________

Abrupt sounds from her phone chiming, Naira eases her eyes open slowly hearing the phone call. Her boyfriend Dre tightens his grip around her torso, as he slept underneath her.

As she slide over the green button, accepting the call. She places the phone to her ear. Balling her hand into a fist, she covers the slight the yawn she lets out.

"Hello?" , she answered somewhat snappy. She figured it was sometime in the morning. 8:45 am, she read as she glanced at her digital clock on the wall. Too fucking early.

"Hello! By any chance, may I speak with Miss. Monét?"

"Monáo." , she corrected before rolling her eyes side eyeing the phone. "This is she."

"I'm Wyatt, the Director of the FedEx Forum building. In regards of the NBA's Athletic Trainers Association, I'm speaking with you today to present your selection as a Professional Personal Assistant Trainer" , her eyes nearly fell in her own lap as he finished his sentence.

The only words she heard was, "Bitch, quit your overnight job!". She'd been longing to receive this call or atleast a letter in the mail, since the day of graduation.

Her 12 hour shifts packing pharmaceutical's were no longer manageable for her. She was either 5 minutes late, or 5 minutes from calling out.

"Hello?" , he asks. She was drowning in her thoughts, to the point where she forgot Wyatt was still on the phone. "I was also asking you, if you'd be able to come in today around.. 11 am? I know the news is unexpected."

"Y-yessir. Thank you." , her tone of voice brightened as she sat up. She paid no mind that Dre had slid off of her, and turned to the other side of the bed. "See you guys soon."

Ja and Selena's fundraiser, did as expected. Selena's salon sold out to the point where she didn't have to work a 9-5. In return, after Ja played all star after college he was drafted to the Grizzlies. It seemed that everything worked out for everyone, except Naira. Until now.

Throwing the covers off of her, she heads to the bathroom connected to her 1 bedroom apartment. Her emotions and even the weather was on her side, seemed like. As she steps out of her panties and unclasp the hooks of her bra, stepping under the glazing hot water of her shower hose.