Marshmallow Cheesecake: Apo

The spike went right into Owen's shoulder like it was made of butter. It made Apo shiver. The voice of Em inside his head went, Wish I could curse him again.

Apo laughed to himself. Emmy's mind-reading occasionally went both ways. And sometimes on purpose.

Emmy prepared to heal Rasbi. Apo was still fascinated with how she did it. She would open her hand, and a circle of light would fly out of someone's mouth. In this case, it was Rasbi's. Her's was a pinkish-maroon color, and when he looked at it and focused hard enough, he could feel Rasbi's emotions radiating from it.

Emmy caught it in her hand, signaling Apo to jump down to his lost friend. He picked her body up and dragged it off the poison spikes. The others jumped down after him.

"What the-'' Daisy whispered, fingering the poison on the jagged edges of the bamboo.

"What?" Apo asked.

"This is basilisk poison! Poison so strong that if mixed properly, can kill in minutes. So powerful that using magic to remove it is exceedingly risky," she said, worriedly.

"What does that mean?" Apo cocked his head to the side.

"It means that if I heal her and put her soul back she might die anyway. And it means Owen will almost definitely die." Emmy said, a hint of delight in her voice at the last sentence.

"No it doesn't." A voice from behind them said.

They turned to look at Mohwee, who was fidgeting with his boomerang.

Emmy stared at him, a look of slight disappointment crossing her face momentarily.

"I found a bottle of something in the dark maze. I tossed it to Owen before I 'died'," Mohwee made finger quotes, "and it read Griever Immunizer. I think they might've found a cure for it. Owen drank it after they exited."

"No," Daisy said, very matter-of-factly. "It isn't as potent on mortals. As in, Owen being a full blood human, they probably found a simple cure for humans only. They most likely just added a basic health potion to the poison or something. Even if we find it, it probably won't help her. And Owen will probably survive."

At that moment, a small rivulet of lava sprouted up from the floor.

"Or, we could just let the watchers kill him." Mohwee said, backing away from the lava that was slowly growing and catching the spike trap on fire.

"Guys, I think he's waking up." Apo said, surveying Owen's slowly increased breathing level.

"We need to go." Emmy grabbed Daisy's hand and re-opened the portal. She, Daisy, and Mohwee leapt through.

Apo sat with Rasbi's body on the other side of the growing lava river.

"So, y'all just going to leave me here? Great, guess I'll say hi to Owen for you."

Daisy laughed nervously. "Sorry."

Daisy leapt back out, and helped Apo carry Rasbi across the lava. While they were struggling to get Rasbi in the portal, Apo wandered over to the open night sky, exposed since Rasbi had fallen through the trap. He weighed his options, and climbed up into the forest. He looked around at the familiar trees for one last time, closing his eyes, and remembering amazing memories. Memories of people who hated him.

"Apo!" a loud whisper called him back to the present.

Apo glanced back to the hole where Emmy was waving him back to the portal. He prepared to jump back down, when more lava sprang from the floor, blocking his exit. He looked at Emmy with worried eyes.