Chapter 19 - Secrets Big and Small

Strangely, Gwyn was dressed as if he were going out to a club. He wore a white UCSB sports jacket and a gray T-shirt that had Harry Potter's Dobby on the front with his arms wrapped around the muscular calf of a football player. Emblazoned under the illustration were the words, "Master has given Dobby a Jock!"

"Why are you not kneeling for the prince?" Glenda sharply demanded.

"When my nephew wears the Silver Crown, I will kneel," the old woman responded.

The room was so quiet, you could have heard a dandelion puff land on a cloud.

"Oh, for Hecate's sake, don't look so shocked. I'm Mab's youngest sister. You've all said, behind my back, that I'm as old as dirt. As the humans say, 'well, now you know!' If I hadn't denounced my disgraceful family, I would outrank him."

Before I could stop myself, I blurted out. "Just how long ago was that?"

"Let's see," she mused, "About the time you humans were developing stone tools."

"Answer my questions, Auntie dear. Can I count on the Colony's support?" Gwyn pressed.

"The vote comes up in a few days. Most of us will join you, and a handful may not. It may take some convincing from you to bring in the international outliers and their hamlets, warrens, and so forth. But they remember you fondly as a baby and think of you as one of their own."

"And the Chumash?"

I watched Tansy's face. It was a mixture of sadness and frustration. Anne threw me a look that meant listen carefully.

After about 30 seconds passed, Gwyn lost his patience. "Auntie, I asked you..."

"I heard you. We have never requested help from them in the few thousand years we've known them, nor they from us. While I am certain that they would help, do you really think involving them in our internal affairs is wise?"

"The Tylwyth friends of all native tribes are at risk of being assimilated and being relocated into our realm. I think they should fight – would demand to fight if they knew this." The High Prince folded his arms and looked down at her. "Or so my mother thinks."

"Wait a minute! Bertha Draconis is alive? How is that possible?" I nodded in Anne's direction when saying this. Her mouth hung open.

Glenda answered, "It's said among the Teg that a human female who carries the child of a male Teg will be forever changed."

"In my mother's case," commented Gwyn, "it has brought her long life and a bit of foresight - among other things, which she keeps hidden from me."

"Excuse us, your Highnesses, but I have a store to run tomorrow morning, and Glenda is studying for a Zoology test in two days. We could walk, but the Cwn Annwn have been roaming around the Colony at night. May we go, Ms., ah...I don't know how I should address you!" He blushed and fell to one knee.

"By the Crone's beard, Maddox, get up. I haven't had a man kneel to me in centuries!"

I could have been mistaken, but the former Teg royal looked very flattered and somewhat delighted. She beamed at him and took his hand. "By all means, let's go. I may not be a match for my sister's powers, but the Welsh hellhounds don't know that. Plus, I always have some treats on hand." She turned to Anne.

"My dear, your meals are as good or better than any I've ever eaten. You are indeed a gifted chef. You must come to my next gathering." Turning to me, she whispered in my ear, "I give to you this Gordian Knot for you to untie: Gwyn has the crown already."

Cardamom Seed offered his many thanks, and Anne saw them all off. Kirin gave a roar, and the odd music-powered vehicle sailed out of sight. Gwyn commandeered himself in my chair, sitting on it crosswise, with the plate of Anne's sugar flowers (which was quickly being de-flowered.)

"Hey, Prince," I said like a drill sergeant, "Outta my chair! Can't you just magic yourself another one?" I could hear Anne laugh.

"That would be a waste of magic," he languidly replied, "Magic isn't like air, you know!"

"Explain," Annie shouted from the kitchen.

"Magic is like a battery. Use it a lot and the battery will run out and need recharging. Recharging takes time. And we're at war, which means we must conserve magic for when it's really needed. There are objects that can store magic – the Caul and the Crown, for instance. Only Auberon knows how much power the Crown can hold. My Caul, well, no one knows." He sighed and manifested a large mug of incandescent amber liquid.

"Bertha wrote that she saw you tear off the Caul. How'd you manage to lose it?" I'd no sooner finished saying the words when Gwyn cried out, "I don't know what happened to it! All right? Mother doesn't know, and Olivia never, ever spoke to me. For all I know, it might have decomposed somewhere underground, eaten by worms.

Suddenly, a broad-shouldered elf appeared before Gwyn, his glossy black hair cascading around his head. "Your majesty, the Cwn Annwn are attacking the Callicantzaroi and the Arkan Sonney in the Pines Preserve. We must help!"

"What do you think, Lils? Neither Teg species would be of any help in our war

"What do you think, Lils? Neither Teg species would be of any help in our war." The prince continued to look at his vassal, who turned abruptly and saw me. He had very familiar golden eyes.

"I'd follow Lord Alwyn's advice, your Highness. Gwyn, you are fighting for all the Tylweth Teg here, not just the ones who can fight. Their lives are as valuable as yours, or Alwyn's, or anyone else's. Mab the bitch queen has chosen to kill innocents in this war. That's unethical and despicable by any standards, human or Teg. Go – and be careful! You too, Lord Alwyn."

Abe came out of the kitchen and handed me a dish towel. "Anne is sending me off to bed and requests your help in drying the rest of your dinner plates. Thank you, Lils, for standing up for me and all bwbachs tonight. No Teg ever had the guts to do so."

I had to brush away a tear. "That's what friends and families do, Abe. We stick up for each other." I watched as a small spider jumped from his shoulder to the top of a bookcase. "Big or small, human or Teg – we watch out for each other." I almost lost my balance when his leathery arms grabbed my calves in a hug.

While I dried dishes (and pots, pans and cooking utensils both ordinary and Anne-only-knows-what) my beloved sat at the kitchen table, writing out a subject itinerary and menu. After going over a list of food allergies and people's likes and dislikes, she settled on her appetizers and 'bites.'

"I'll need the following..." she began, but I stopped her with a kiss. "Just write it all down. I have a morning game of Gwyddbwyll with Mr. Tambini, so I should have what you need by 1 p.m. Is that enough time?"

"No," she said, kissing me back with unusual ferocity, "but it will have to be. I just hope we catch some sleep..." and we both laughed. Sleep was a while in arriving.