4. Promising Him

The gold eyes of the Alpha of the Blood Venom pack stared into my soul and dissected every part of my being. Alpha Axel Knight, the man that plagues rogues' nightmares and who made other alphas look like little bitches, is angry. Possibly at me, possibly at my mate, or just simply angry at the word. If he's looking for some fresh meat to sink his teeth into, well, I'm a goner. 

His eyes slowly trail down the rest of my body before going back up and landing on the mark on my neck. There was nothing sexual about his look. It was more like he was studying me, analyzing every fiber of my being. I'm feeling hyperaware of the fact that I was only dressed in Mason's T-shirt. That was not the first impression I wanted to make, especially not in front of an Alpha, let alone this particular Alpha. I internally face palm, wishing that Mason would walk into the room at any second and pull him away, saving my from this embarrassment. He is looking at me for mere seconds, and yet his critical gaze felt like hours. Regardless, I don't think he liked seeing the mark on my neck because from the periphery of my vision, I noticed his fists clenching so hard, I was worried the engorged veins in his hands and forearms would burst. 

"Hello, Alpha," I said with a hushed tone. I wasn't sure if I was even supposed to address him. I have heard all the rumors after all. Some I know are untrue. For example, there's no way he killed a 4-year-old girl for trespassing on his territory. No matter, how horrible other packs make him out to be, I've heard that his pack members adore him. They couldn't possible love someone who murders children. Well, they could, if they were all psychopathic killers, but considering my mate is part of this pack, I highly doubt that. Yet, I know that he has definitely tortured and killed adult men who have come uninvited on his territory asking for trouble. I've been taught well by my pack: this man isn't someone to mess with. In any game played with him, he will always be the winner. Yet I had a slight advantage over him. In this moment, I knew what I am up against. He, on the other hand, had no idea who I was, how I got here, or what I'm capable of. I've been training with my younger brother for years, in a fight, I can hold my own. He is expecting a damsel in distress, something I will never be. 

Noticing that his eyes were still staring daggers into the mark Mason placed on me, I took a second to evaluate what he looked like as well. I've seen pictures of him, but they don't do him justice at all. Obviously, nobody can possibly compare to Mason in my eyes, but I would be lying if I said Axel Knight wasn't beautiful. Even with his wolf still clawing it's way out trying to bite my face off, I can't deny that he is attractive, which is why I'm again reminded that I am dressed in Mason's T-shirt and that I hope he comes here soon. 

I wonder if he and Mason are close. A lot of Alphas and Betas are best friends. How could my wonderful mate be friends with this beast of a person? It seems unfathomable. But based on the rumors I've heard about this pack, the Alpha and the beta are the duo of the century. So, I bet they are closer than I would find comfortable. Granted, he isn't someone I would ever befriend or ever seek out on purpose to have a conversation or otherwise. So, I  hope the only connection Mason has with this man is that Axel is Alpha and Mason is Beta and Mason only executes his duty as his second in command.  

Something about his expression finally softens and his eyes go back to their original color. Noticing that he is a bit calmer helped me realize something that I don't think the big bad Alpha wanted people to know. Even with his ice-cold exterior and cruel demeanor, there is something so broken about him that I wish someone could help him heal. So tainted, that I think he acts angry to hide away all that hurt. It must be a lot of pressure to continue to lead the strongest, most successful, and scariest pack, and that's a weight my shoulders will thankfully never have to bear. 

His lack of response was enough for me to understand that my existence is not something he is excited about having to acknowledge, yet somehow he is forced to face the reality.