Chapter Four

My feet splashed in the water, a happy giggle escaping me. I looked to my right, chocolate brown eyes stared into mine. 

I threw a pebble in the pond, a small ripple swam towards us. I lay down, the soft green grass feeling like a soft bed under me. 

"Percy..." Josh looked at me, a smile on his face. 

The last seven months have been the happiest in years. It was just the two of us, and that was all I needed. 

His brown hair had grown an inch and was floppy on the top. He was wearing our school uniform since we were skipping out on class.

I pulled his left hand towards me. He fell towards me, not expecting the pull, barely an inch from my face.

I smiled at him, his smile was so amazing, like blue cookies on a bad day. I reached out, and pulled his face down, leaning in for a kiss.

We stayed there, his lips tasting like strawberry, and my hands up in his hair.

He pulled away, gasping for air. 

"Josh, just a bit longer," I asked pulling him towards me. 

He smiled at me, wiping his mouth to get my lipstick off his lips. 

"The bell rang, Thea." He reached over to grab our bags but my hands flew to block him.

"Just one more period?" I grabbed his hands, smiling. I tucked my legs under me, not ready to leave yet, and deal with the consequences of skipping. 

He stopped, and let go of my hands. 

"I wish I could, but my next class is Math, I can't skip unless I want to fail. And if I fail-" 

"You lose your scholarship and can't attend here anymore. I know. You've only told me so many times." I groaned. I threw my head back and looked at the sky. The sky was a somber gray, warning us of the forthcoming rainstorm. 

"Fine, see you after school," I said standing up, I winked up at him as he waved and headed to his class. 

I watched him walk away and sighed. I collapsed back on the grass. As far as my teachers know right now, I'm at the nurses' office from a bad stomach ache.

I got up, pulled my satchel over my shoulder, and headed off to find someone to bother for the next two hours. 

~~~~

The door slammed shut behind me. The house was quiet except for the sounds of the rain pattering against the roof as the water dripped off my hair and clothes. 

I started to head towards my room when the sound of clicking heels came from the hallway. I stayed in my spot, knowing that Mother was coming. I gripped my bag in my hands and tried to straighten out my curling hair.

Mother's blonde hair bounced through the doorway. She had on two-inch heels, a dark blue blouse, and a tight wool skirt. Looks like Walter's here. 

"Where have you been? School ended two hours ago. I was about to call the police! You haven't been drinking have you?" Her words were sharp and cold, like an icy knife cutting through a boiled potato.

She grabbed my face, her nails a deep pink, the same shade as her lip gloss. I opened my mouth and breathed, showing that I hadn't been at a party drinking and getting high with Sofia. 

"I was with a friend," I mumbled, my eyes dancing around looking for something to look at to avoid her piercing gaze. 

"Your teacher called, saying that you left after lunch to the nurse's office and never came back." She stared down at me, she put her hands on her hips as she pursed her lips, her disappointment poorly concealed.