Ch. 1

It was well past dark when I climbed out onto the roof. The stars were beautiful, but it was the last time I'd see them from here. I'd be starting my first year at Hogwarts tomorrow. It was an odd feeling that I'd be out of here so soon. "Rose, you up there?" I heard Sirius call out, "Yeah." I smiled at him crawling up onto the roof. "You know, if mother finds us up here, we'll get into a load of trouble." I laughed at his caution. "I know Sirius. I'm counting on it." We talked for a while, trying to pass the time; waiting for the sun to rise. "Are you ready for Hogwarts?" Sirius asked me, I thought about it for a bit. "Not really. If I don't get into Slytherin, Walpurga says that she will throw me to the streets." I confess to him, but then laugh. "Wouldn't it be nice if i got into Gryffindor though?" He just stared at me and mumbled. "Yeah"

"Rose, Sirius! Where are you? You better get down here, mother is on a rampage." Reggie called from the  window. "Thanks mate," I called back to him, "Your threat just became real." I laughed as Sirius and I climbed back into my room. Once we were back inside, we walked out to the foyer and called out to Walpurga. She was fuming and we spent the morning before leaving for the station in the study "learning our lessons" as Regulus was told to watch. Once that was over, I went to my room to grab a few last minute things before leaving. When we got to the station, Sirius was the first to disappear. Reg and I stayed with Walpurga until she left. "How're your legs?" Reg asked me. "They sting a little, but I'll heal them once we get on the train." Regulus gasped with wide eyes. "Rose we don't know any healing spells." He stated. "You don't, but I do. I learned quite a few things when we had our lessons." I countered him. 

When we were walking into the Great Hall, I grabbed Regulus' hand tight and whispered, "What if I don't get into Slytherin? What will you do?" He squeezed back and said, "Don't talk like that, it'd never happen. You'll be sorted into Slytherin, just like me." He looked confident in his answer so I tried to smile back at him. As kid after kid was called, I heard "Regulus Black" and "Slytherin" called around each other. More names and houses had gotten called and cheers went up around the room, eventually I heard "Rose Jones" called. I walked forward to the stool and sat atop it. 

"Hmmm.... very intriguing, you seem to be smart and cunning, but gutsy and brave. You may not agree, but I think you fit GRYFFINDOR!" The hat boomed aloud, I looked at Regulus and then down at my feet. This could not be happening to me. I am supposed to be a Slytherin! What am I gonna do now? I got up and walked over to the Gryffindor table and sat by Sirius. "Sirius, my life is unraveling." I whispered to him, and I could tell he understood what I meant. I went the rest of the night barely talking, eating or really much of anything. I sat by a window and waited for everyone to leave the common room before I broke down. I passed out at some point, but I felt someone carrying me to bed. I woke up at one point in the night, not recognizing where I was, but I fell back to sleep before I could do anything about it. 

When I woke up again, it was from giggles and teasing. I poked my head out of the curtains only to see a boy with green-brown eyes looking back. I blushed and ducked back into the bed, another boy poked his head in a bit after. He had messy brown hair and glasses, "Blimey Sirius, I didn't know you went for first years?" He laughed like it was normal, I was so furious that I slapped him. Sirius poked his head in right after the other boy yelped. "Merlin Rose, you can't just hit people." He grabbed my arm and made me stand outside the door while he got dressed.

"Come on, let's go get your clothes." He popped out of the room quickly after, "Then I'll take you to the Professor's office to get our timetables." We walked down the stairs and then over to the girls dormitory, I stopped when I noticed he didn't follow. "You coming?" I asked, "Can't, there's a spell blocking us from going into the girl's dorms." He kind of shuffled his feet like he found that out the hard way. I laughed, snuck into my room and changed as quietly as possible, then left back for Sirius. "Let's go," I said, and followed Sirius to Professor McGonagall's office.

Sirius rapped on the door and then entered at "Come in." Professor McGonagall was a prude looking woman. "Good morning Professor, how was your holiday?" Sirius smiled. She ignored him and turned to me. "I hope you don't plan on following in his footsteps Ms. Jones, he can be quite a problem." I smiled at her words and said, "No ma'am. I plan on being a good student." She gave us our timetables and dismissed us. Once we left, we went to the Great Hall for breakfast. I piled my plate with toast, eggs and some sausages; I was so hungry. After I stuffed my face full, I drilled Sirius.

"Why did I wake up in your bed? Who were those boys? Who was the one I slapped especially, he needs to learn manners. What am I gonna do now? Where will I go during the holidays and the break?" He stopped and hugged me. "You are gonna be fine, we'll figure this out together. Those guys you saw were my friends, Peter, James and Remus. The one you slapped was James and you're right, he does need to learn some manners." He smiled at the last part. "Oh Merlin, what does Regulus think?" I moaned. "He'll be fine, you guys will still be friends. You've been inseparable for as long as I can remember."

I looked up to see Regulus standing by the entrance, he saw me and looked away. I turned to Sirius and he nodded. I leapt up and ran for the entrance, hoping to see Regulus. He was gone already. I started after him and called his name, he stopped and looked back at me but kept on walking. I tried going after him, but realized it was the wrong idea. I turned around and went back towards Sirius. I was looking down and didn't see who was in front of me when I crashed into someone. I looked up and blushed, "I-I'm so sorry, I didn't see you." I apologized, then I really looked to see who it was.