Chapter Three

The air outside the tack room was blessedly cool and Jen inhaled several times, trying to slow her pulse. She shouldn't let him get to her. She shouldn't let memories of the two of them have any power. She needed to focus on how she was going to improve her business. The money she'd make catering this function would help carry her through the month she was closed, give her a head start in paying back her loan. It would give her a chance to promote early, too. Summer was coming up. There were any number of functions she could cater—showers and weddings and family picnics. So she'd just ignore Andrew's hazel eyes and stay on course. For all she knew, he'd play at this awhile and then be gone as fast as he'd arrived. But for now, she'd play along.

"We've got room for several horses in here if we need it, and to house them in cold weather." His voice came from behind her, strong but somewhat mollified, and she was relieved that he wasn't going to pursue what had just happened between them in the tack room. It was just old history creating atmosphere. It wasn't real, couldn't be. It would be much better if they stuck to business.

His boots echoed on the concrete, the sound ricocheting through the empty barn. "I'm taking the front quarter of the barn and adding a clinic. I've got some men coming over this week to do the building, and I've got equipment and supplies on order. I'll be able to doctor my own stock, as well as that of other ranchers in the area."

She stopped at the last stall and put her hand on the door, turning to face him now that she was back in control of her earlier emotions. "You shouldn't have much problem drumming up business once word gets around that your shingle's out."

But for how long? He was prominent, successful. How long before he got bored of Lazy L and Larch Valley and went back to his real life?

"That is the hope," he nodded. "I can manage financially without it, but I don't think I'd feel like me if I weren't practicing, you know?"

It was surprising to realize he was financially secure at such a young age. Goodness, he was so much more sure of himself than he used to be and it was a little intimidating, especially considering she was barely scraping by, and had just gone into debt so substantially. "If you enjoy practice so much, then why come back? Why now? You were so successful in the States. Your dad was always talking about you."

His head snapped up, his gaze catching hers and she thought she detected a flare of pain before it was quickly doused.

"My father?"

She wasn't sure how to answer the clipped question; clearly the mention of Gerald put Andrew on edge. She decided to tread carefully. "I used to visit him after you left. Take him cookies. He followed your career from the start, you know."

It had been hard for Jen, hearing all about the life Andrew had chosen instead of choosing her. But Gerald had been good to her, and she knew he was lonely. It had always been clear to her that Gerald had been as hurt about Andrew's severing of ties as she had. They had it in common, and when Noah had been deployed, Jen had started taking treats to the older man every few weeks or so. Over the years she'd seen him less and less. That all changed when he had been taken to hospital. Then Jen couldn't stand to see the aging man alone, when his sons couldn't be bothered to come see him.

Andrew shook his head, as if he didn't quite believe her. "No, I didn't know that. He never told me."

Andrew gestured forward and they exited out into the bright spring light, walking towards the corral by tacit agreement. He seemed reluctant to spend any more words on his father, so Jen decided to try talking about the ranch and his project again.