And the Silence Was Deafening ≫ Bristlefrost x Brother! Reader (PLATONIC)

Art: Me (cat-riddles)

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Spoilers for A Light in the Mist
• Mild gore
• Heavy angst
• Death

This is a request for rott1ngweiler. Please enjoy!

****

You were trapped in a nightmare. All around you, long-dead warriors and unfortunate living cats screeched and snarled, ripping each other's fur with their claws and breaking each other's bones with their gnashing teeth.

I shouldn't be here. That was one of the painful thoughts that throbbed inside your skull as you dodged a dark warrior with intentions of slicing your throat with his claws. Your throat tightened and bitter bile pooled near the back of your mouth as a sickening realization overcame you. None of us should be here.

You came to a halt at the edge of the clearing, coughing and spraying the ground at your paws with crimson blood. You drew in a sharp breath, forcing your heavy eyes open. As much as you wanted to, you couldn't lose consciousness. Your sister was here somewhere, fighting Ashfur like he was her own personal enemy—you couldn't afford to rest.

A gut-wrenching screech tore through the endless chaos, filling your ears and making your fur stand on end. You whipped around, eyes wide as you desperately surveyed the mess of unfamiliar pelts, searching for a gray-and-white she-cat. You recognized her voice, even as a horrible caterwaul.

"Bristlefrost!" You yowled into the fray, racing down the makeshift bank that separated you from the rank, black water. "Bristlefrost! Where are you!?" Despite your best efforts, you couldn't see your sister among the many other pelts.

You let out a low caterwaul, despair seeping into your pelt like fangs. You were about ready to turn and start looking elsewhere, but a familiar voice, harsh and filled with rage, drifted towards you. It was somewhat distant, but you could still make out what was being said, and it filled you with fear.
"Leave him alone! I'm coming, Shadowsight!"

Your head snapped around, and your eyes landed on a familiar gray-and-white pelt streaking like lightning down the opposite side of the clearing towards Ashfur, who was looming over the young ShadowClan medicine cat menacingly.

Everything seemed to freeze over like the lake in leafbare. The sounds of battle vanished into a dull throbbing in your ears, replaced by the roaring of blood in your veins as your heart desperately tried to keep up with your stress.

The gray-and-white pelt belonged to your sister, and she was charging straight at Ashfur with the intent of knocking him into the dark water. The dark water that would swallow her whole, spirit and all.

Through your haze of ice-cold fear, you saw Ashfur's head slowly swing up, his dark blue eyes flying wide-open in shock as Bristlefrost made the final stride towards him. You closed your eyes, swallowing a painful lump of dread in your throat. You weren't sure what to do—you weren't even supposed to be here. Suddenly, a surge of adrenaline sparked deep within you, and your eyes shot open as the sounds of raging battle returned to your ears.

You didn't know much. In fact, you hardly knew anything at all—but you knew you weren't about to let your sister give up her life.