:::::::::::::::15:::::::::::::::

—-Mature content ahead—-

The dinner that was prepared was one of the best you had in a long time. Ellie was stuffing her face and laughing with Hannah at the end of the table. Joel ate politely and was quiet as Olivia caught up with her old friend.

"Who knew it would take a 15 year outbreak to get you out to Nebraska?" Chrissy joked making you laugh.

"Did you guys know each other for a long time?" Elllie asked

"About 6 years prior to all this shit" you replied

"An amazing 6 years it was" Chrissy added before taking a bite.

"Not to spoil the conversation but how is it you all know each other?" Chrissy'a husband asked. He was as reserved as Joel was.

Ellie looked at you as did Joel.

"Uhm-I know Ellie's family. Just making sure she gets back to them safely" you said.

Her husband nodded and looked at Joel who nodded.

"All the way from Boston huh?" Chrissy asked

You nodded before drinking water.

"How was that trek? A lot of infected?" Chrissy's brother asked

"Oh yeah. We saw all kinds. Like the ones that can't see and are like bats" Ellie overshared. Hannah's eyes went wide as they all looked shocked.

Joel cleared his throat.

"I'm sor-ellie that is not appropriate dinner talk" Joel reprimanded her

"That's my fault. I asked. I thought it was the major cities mainly affected" Chrissy's brother asked

"Pretty much. It's not safe anywhere but the farther out you are the better of a chance you have" Joel said.

The dinner conversation went on for another half hour before everyone began saying their good nights.

"Olivia!" Ellie called out as you and Joel were about to step outside.

You both turned to see her with Hannah.

"Can I stay here tonight?" She asked softly

"I don't th—"

"Please?" Hannah asked nicely cutting Joel off. He sighed and looked at you.

"Fine, but get some sleep. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow" you said to her.

Joel seemed annoyed at your response and headed out.

"Thank you!" Ellie exclaimed happily and both girls ran off up the stairs.

You followed out after Joel who was a few steps ahead of you.

"She'll be alright" you said to him. You knew he was always worried about Ellie but refused to actually admit it.

"I'm sure" he muttered not bothering to look at you.

"Quit being such a dick, Joel. Be appreciative for once. " You snapped at him, not liking the attitude he was giving you. That stopped him and he looked at you.

"What makes you think I'm not?" He snapped back

"You're fucking attitude" you snapped at back pushing him out of the way as you walked past him.

"My attitude? I have to deal with you being a fucking bitch and will have to until I get to drop your ass off to the fireflies" he yelled at you walking after you.

"I'm the bitch because you refuse to admit how you feel about us—me?" You said to him stopping. He looked at you with guilty eyes. A moment went by without him speaking.