13. A Step Closer

Next morning Dr Cho checked Steve's wound after wrapping it again. The nurse was with her walked out. Dr Cho sighed shaking her head," I'm telling you again, you should stay here for few days more. "

Steve shook his head with a smile," I'm almost fine now. "

She huffed playfully," Almost?! It's not even twenty four hours since you're here. I recommend you to stay here admitted for a week but...you're insisting. " She was about to leave but stopped. " By the way, did you know Ms Natasha has started talking? A little bit?"

Steve nodded," Yeah. I heard that too. "

" Mr Shostakov said that's all possible because of you. You took her out, tried to make her comfortable around people. Even took her to your house. That definitely helped her. So...safe to say, you did an amazing job. " She smiled at him.

" In reality, it wasn't some external problem. The fact was, she just didn't want to talk, not that she couldn't. So, I'd say, it's all her own efforts. I was just doing my duty. " Steve replied, avoiding the doctor's eye.

She raised her eyebrow at him, as he seemed kinda uncomfortable. She turned to leave with a smile," Yeah. Okay. " Just then Bucky arrived there. " Have a good recovery, Mr Rogers. " And she walked out. Bucky helped him and they left the hospital.

Steve took few days off from his work to fully recover. Then he got a call from Yelena. " Hello?"

" Uh...how are you?"

Steve sighed. In between these few days, she would call him everyday to ask about his health. She's genuinely feeling guilty for putting him in trouble even if he says nothing is her fault. To him, she's more like Wanda. Always keeps him annoying but when he falls sick, she won't leave his side. And he felt Yelena is treating him exactly like that.

" I'm perfectly fine, Ms Yelena. I even worked out today. What else do you need as my health report?"

She laughed a little. " Can you come over today's evening, to red mansion? I wanted to take you somewhere. As my sorry and a big thank you. "

He became curious," To where?"

" You'll know. Just get here. " Then she hung up.

In the hall of the red mansion, Melina asked her secretary, Sophie," Call Mr Rogers to be in association tower. I've something to discuss. "

The secretary nodded and before she could do anything, Yelena walked up to them. " Don't take him. " Melina looked at her, a little surprised. Because, she never talk with her normally. " I mean, don't take him with you. I'll go somewhere and I've already informed him to join me. "

Melina looked at her sternly," Was it not enough to put him in bed for weeks?!"

She didn't back away either," I know and I understand my responsibility. But he's not your personal assistant that you'd carry him around all day. I've a meeting and he's coming with me. " She stated her points clearly.

Before both of them can carry it forward, Alexi approached them with a laugh," Just a few months back you two were refusing to have a bodyguard, but see? You two are fighting over one. I'll ask Nick to hire another one then. "

" No"
" No"

Both of them said at the same time that made him laugh more.

" Okay. He can go with you. " Melina mumbled quietly and walked out with her secretary. Yelena raised her eyebrow at her father proudly, and he chuckled shaking his head.

While Natasha was seeing this scenario silently from upstairs peeking from behind the door. She didn't know why she's feeling sick in her stomach when she saw her mother and sister are fighting for Steve. As if they're claiming something hers, something belongs to her. And they're dragging him away from her, but she's standing there helplessly.