XXX

━━━━━━❰·❉·❱━━━━━━

━━━━━━❰·❉·❱━━━━━━

~ CARPE NOCTEM ~

AMBERLE'S POV

Over the following days after our trip to the abandoned amusement park, I'd spent the majority of the time researching in my bedroom.

Behind Kai's back.

Since the moment he'd mentioned the key to escaping the Prison World - Bennett blood - I'd been brainstorming ways to access it. The most obvious was contacting my best friend back home and kindly asking her to let us out, but without being able to reconnect with my powers and send her a message, that option was becoming increasingly unlikely as the weeks went by.

The next idea I considered was that maybe somewhere at some point before May 10 1994, a Bennett witch decided to donate blood to a hospital and we could use that. But of course, the chance of that being viable was slim to none, and even if we were lucky enough that it was possible, that would mean searching every single hospital in the world in the hopes of finding it.

Which left one last option... one I wasn't sure would even work.

But it was our only chance.

I'd refrained from letting Kai in on my little secret until I knew I could trust him not to leave me here the instant he knew what to do, so I kept all of the information and research hidden in my room. There was also the risk of my plan failing, and with no other option except hoping for my powers to return fully, it could get Kai's hopes up just for him to lose it and lash out when things didn't go the way we wanted.

And me being the useless baggage weighing him down with no further purpose, I'd be the first one to receive the brunt of his anger.

Frankly, staying alive to see my family again was my only priority right now.

Sitting at the bottom of the main stairs in the Boarding House, I watched my slinky make its way down every step, focusing on the movement as if it would help me concentrate. Once it reached the last one, I threw it back towards the top and observed the repetitive motion.

Since that one spark of magic on the Ferris Wheel, I hadn't been successful in getting my magic back, all while ignoring the truth I'd been too repulsed to accept back then. But it was becoming increasingly clear that there was no way around it anymore.

Maybe I was going about this entire thing the wrong way. The whole time I'd been relying on emotions - fear, anger - and dangerous situations for my powers to work again, just like they had the first time they'd appeared all those months back.

"Give yourself over to the darkness."

I'd been terrified of the darkness, the thought of becoming the worst version of myself and losing all empathy too much to comprehend. But maybe it hadn't been physical darkness Leilah had been talking about but actually metaphorical darkness. Maybe what I needed was to open myself up to it, to become emotionally involved with the darkness. To fall for it, if you will.