Prolouge

Phil's Pov:
"You're going to be king." Eret says, coming into my room.

"You could at least knock first!" I say, still focusing on my paper.

"I'm sorry, but this is urgent. You are going to be king." He says, still standing in the doorway.

"I know, Eret. You don't have to repeat yourself." I say, rolling my eyes.

"Phil, listen to me!" Eret says, raising his voice at me. I stop writing but I continue looking down at my paper, "You are to be king." He continues, enunciating each word.

"Is this supposed to be some sort of motivation to get my work done sooner?" I ask, spinning in my chair and facing him, "I am very aware of my future. You don't have to keep telling me." I say to him, annoyed. I turn back to my paper and start writing, now on edge.

"Phil!" He shouts, I quickly snap my attention back to him. Eret never shouts at me.

"You are going to be king. Today." He says, staring at me. My eyes widen in surprise as I can feel my body tense.

"What?" I ask in a whisper. Eret straightens his posture as his eyes soften. He clears his throat as I stand.

"I'm sorry, Phil."

----------------------------------------

"Phil wait!" I hear Eret call down the hallway. I can feel tears down my face as I run through the corridor. I can feel the eyes of maids and butlers and soldiers on me.

I run down the staircase and turn the corner, my shoes squeaking against the marble floor. My vision becomes blurry with tears and as I round the corner I bump into someone.

"I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" I ask, quickly stumbling to my feet and holding a hand out. It's a castle maid. She takes my hand and helps herself up, apologizing.

"I'm so sorry-" She starts before cutting herself off, finally looking at me. She quickly falls into a curtsy.

"Your majesty." She says, bowing her head.

"Please, don't say that, you're fine." I say, chuckling. She looks back up at me and smiles.

"I'm sorry." She says, standing up straight but looking back down to the ground.

"Sorry? Sorry for-" I start before remembering the entire reason I was running in the first place. She looks up at me, concerned.

"I'm sorry, I have to go!" I say before I continue to run down the hallway, I can feel her eyes on my as I round the last corner to my parents room.

"Mom!" I shout as I burst through her bedroom door. I stop in the doorway, gasping for breath after running halfway across the palace. She's sitting in her room, holding a piece of paper. A castle messenger at her side. He glances up at me and clears his throat.

"I'll leave you two be." He says, making his way out of the room, closing the door behind him.

I stand in front of the closed door, looking at my mom as she sobs into her hands. The room being filled with tension, and her soft tears.

"Mom?" I ask in a whisper, I can feel my voice tremble.

She looks up at me, her eyes were red and her cheeks were tear stained.

"You weren't supposed to go through this so young." She says, just barely keeping herself from crying before failing and breaking down. I hold onto her as she continues crying. I can feel tears streaming down my cheeks.

"You weren't supposed to be king yet." She weeps, not even looking at me. She sobs into her hands as I feel a lump in my throat form as I feel like I also need to start crying more.

"It's okay mom. It's okay." I whisper, choking back tears as I try and comfort her.

"Here." She says through her tears, hanging me the paper that's in her hands. Now tear stained. I grab it from her as I feel my hands shake as I read the letter.

Dear Queen Atula
We must inform you that you husband, and the king of L'Manburg has unfortunately passed away. There was an attack at the palace while he was visiting, and he did not make it out alive. We send our deepest sympathy along with this note for you and the kingdom, and our best wishes for Prince Phil.
Kind Regards, King Charles

I feel tears streaming down my face as I read the note. My hands shaking as I watch tear drops hit the paper.

"I'm so sorry son. You weren't supposed to be king yet." She sobs. I go to tell her something but I can't. I fear once I open my mouth I'll start crying even more and I can't cry right now. Not when my mom needs me.

All of that quickly gets pushed aside when my mom opens her arms for a hug. I fall into her arms and start crying. While my father may have not been the best man, he was still my father. I still loved him.

Word Count: 845