5 - More than a sword

Two days later, Liha accompanied Dánirah to the city gate. The market stalls bent under their load of vegetables, cheese, bread, and preserves. To the left, meat and fish were sold, and to the right, sweets and pastries. A mixed crowd of eager customers mingled, haggled, and laughed, ignoring the chill in the morning air.

Dánirah dodged a cart loaded with cabbage and stopped before the imposing gate. "Thanks for coming, and all the best with the selection today."

Liha frowned. "Are you sure it's a good idea to travel north alone?" The thought of Dánirah running into a gang of mercenaries made the hairs on his neck stand up.

"We Tannarí are not called the wandering dawn people for nought." She tapped her bag, where she kept the sealed parchment Naiin's customer had brought last night. "Besides, I must deliver Katim's letter and meet my mother in the northern prairies."

The thought of his family sent a twang of bitter longing through Liha's mind. Unable to raise the dead, he could only keep his promise and seek revenge. It was certainly better to let Dánirah follow her own path. As Berim had done at their separation, he placed his hand on the young woman's shoulder. "It was good to know you, Dánirah. May the sun brighten your path."

She smiled and returned the gesture. "May the morning star guide your steps forever and a day until we meet again."

Before he could ask about the unusual wish, she turned and walked into the shadow.

Liha felt the gaze of a guard by the steps to the city wall resting on him. "Want to mount to wave your sweetheart goodbye?"

He didn't hesitate. Under the knowing grin of the man, he rushed up the stairs and, once he reached the broad coping, leaned out of an embrasure that allowed him the view of the road to the north. There she was.

With long strides, the slim figure moved through the people on the road, her dark skirt swishing around her legs and the tails of her black shawl fluttering in the breeze. Liha's heart missed a beat. That first night on the roof, Dánirah had told him she would leave. Still, it hurt to see her go.

As if she could feel his eyes on her back, Dánirah turned around and waved. Liha waved back and, with a lighter heart, left the wall to climb the streets to the sun king's fortress.

The seamless connection between the rock and the walls underlined the imposing presence of the castle. Liha felt cowed, and more so when he reached the guardhouse on the ramp leading to the main entrance. Close to two dozen young men and a few women waited for the recruitment day. Under their scrutinising gazes, he leaned against a wall warmed by the sun to study his fellow applicants.

Most seemed to be a summer or two older than him and carried a sword. Their clothing reached from coarse breeches and shirts like his own to expensive weaves in the colours of influential houses of Kelèn. Several well-clad young men strutted back and forth, discussing the development of the political situation in the north. Most others kept to the sidelines like himself. At least, some seemed to lack a noble name and family to back them up, too.

Five more applicants arrived, and a guardsman opened the wooden gate to admit the young people. They followed him up the ramp and into a large courtyard framed by stables. Liha's heart skipped a beat when he realised he was now inside the royal keep. What would his sisters give to be here today? But he didn't find time to gaze around. A seasoned warrior in the guard's uniform addressed the assembly.

"Citizens of Kelèn. You are here today to apply for a place in the royal forces. You all trained hard for this day and are eager to show us your talent. This is great." An affirmative murmur ran through the ranks of the applicants.