Chapter 3: I've got everything worth fighting for

(A/N) Title from SUPERHERO by CG5

I walk down the street, thinking quietly about the interview. I wonder if I was a bit too much. Maybe I should have toned down my personality a bit.

I don't even notice as my feet guide me to the district of Las Nevadas. I smile, and walk up to the familiar bright-red door of Quackity's building, that housed his living quarters and office, along with the casino and fighting rings.

"I'm sorry, we don't allow children in here."

I pause, taken aback, before looking at the guard. Never in my life have I been refused access to Las Nevadas. This guard must be new.

"Excuse me?" I reply, my voice cold. "I know Quackity personally. You don't know who your talking to."

"There's no way you know Quackity, and I know exactly who I'm talking to. Some lost child. A little brat nobody cares about. Now scram. We don't want you here."

I narrow my eyes at him, ignoring the voice in the part of my brain whispering that he's right, nobody cares about me, before pulling out my phone and calling Quackity. He picks up on the second ring.

"Hey Q? I want the new guard at the door fired. He just called me a lost child, a brat, told me to scram, and that I'm not allowed inside." There was a moments pause before Quackity responded.

"Done. I'll find someone new. Come meet me in my office since you're here."

The guard's eyes widen as he realizes I have his boss on the phone, that I was telling the truth. And the fact that he just got fired.

Ha. That's what you get for doubting and insulting me.

He doesn't make any move to stop me after that as I proceed through the door and down the hall. After taking the secret passageways within secret passageways I end up at Quackity's office and knock once as a warning before slipping inside.

"Q!" I exclaim, happy to see my him again.

"Lun!" He shouts back, matching my energy, before crushing me in a hug.

"You want to run the rooftops with me? ... Or do you want to fight in the ring? Or find something else to do?" Quackity asks excitedly, adding the last options as an afterthought.

"Run the rooftops," I confirm, and we both grin. We split up for a minute to change into our vigilante suits. Technically, Q, or Jester, was a vigilante, but he had a foothold with every villain in L'Manburg. 

My vigilante suit is pretty awesome if I do say so myself. I look like an assassin, with a black mask covering my neck and extending up over my mouth and nose, and a pair of twin daggers strapped on my back. I have tall black boots that reach nearly to my knees, and a dark hood casting my eyes in shadow, hiding my bright blond hair. I had a voice changer that Tubbo made for me to make me sound older.

Quackity wore a blue jacket with two white stripes running down either arm, and black cargo pants. He wore a blue beanie to match the jacket, with the letters LAFD written on the brim in white. Quackity's power is that he's a shape-shifter. He doesn't need a mask since he can blur his face to anyone watching, though he has one in a pocket just in case.

We met up again on the roof of Quackity's casino, and we take off, racing along high above the city streets, me using my shadows to propel us over a few jumps that were too far for the average wingless avian to make.

After a couple minutes of running we hear police sirens and pause, exchanging a quick glance before heading in that direction.

As we near the sirens, we see an apartment building in flames, but there are no heroes around.

Quackity and I look at each other for a split second before Quackity breaks open a window on the top floor and starts helping people out as I run in the front door.

I hear a ding in my ear signaling Tubbo joining the coms, and I breathe out a sigh of relief.

"Alright Moon, there's three on the third floor, a dog on fifth, and two on seventh, one of which is a kid" Tubbo says quickly, getting straight to the point.

"Thanks Nuke. Also how do you know?"

"I saw you on the news, so I scanned the building real quick. Can't let my baby sister go in blind!" I hum in confirmation, wanting to protest the nickname but knowing I have something more important to do. I knock on third floor doors until I find the people, two men and an elderly lady.

I quickly guide them to the exit before grabbing the dog from the fifth floor and running to seventh, guiding those people out as well. As soon as I get them outside, I hear Tubbo's panicked voice in my earpiece again.

"Moon! I missed one! There's a little kid on ninth, and Quackity's already left the building! They we're too small for my scanners to pick up on immediately" I look at the building and gulp as it creaks, before running in again.

By this point I've inhaled way more smoke than is healthy, so I'm coughing harshly all the way to floor nine.

"Which room?" I ask between coughs.

"924" my brother replies after a moment. I run down the hall before kicking down the door. The building creaks again, and I hear ominous cracking.

"Moon! Hurry!" Tubbo sounds truly scared now. "You have maybe two minutes till the building falls!"

I gulp, causing me to start coughing again.

"Kid? Hello? Anyone here?"

I hear a faint reply, and run to the back of the room, near the window. I spot a little boy, maybe three or four years old.

"Hey, kid, we need to go," I say gently, and he yelps and scoots back.

"No! You scawy!" He yells, and I sigh. I close my eyes briefly, before tugging my mask down from my face and lowering my hood.

"Come on, I'm not going to hurt you. I'm just like you, see? We need to get away from the fire. Can you do that for me?" The kid looks at me in distrust, not believing what I'm saying.

"No. I wan' ma pawents," he says moodily, stomping his foot.

"I can get you to your parents kid, but we need to go now if you want to see them. Come on," I hold out my arms, and after a second of hesitation he climbs into them. That's when I hear Tubbo's shout in my ear.

"MOON! RUN! I see the building collapsing on the news! Get out!"

I feel the building shift beneath my feet. I take a deep breath and pull my mask back on, coughing again.

"Alright kid, hold on tight. This might be a bit scary," I whisper to the boy before clutching him close and running at the window. At the last second as the building falls around me, I turn so my back hits the window, and it shatters.

And then we're falling, from nine stories in the air, and I hear the boy's shriek. For a moment I feel like I'm flying, like I could before I lost my wings, even though they were nearly always kept bound at Schlatt's.

Then I realize I'm falling fast as I hear the screams below me, and turn us so in the air so that I will cushion the boy's fall.

The last thing I hear is Quackity's scream, mixed with Tubbo's, which is both through the coms and in person. I guess Nuke showed up while I was getting the little boy to trust me.

And then we hit the ground.