xi. the fight between brothers

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Luna had managed to sleep through the whole meeting's talk of war, not that she minded much. Her morning sickness was getting worse and her emotions were wrecked, the last thing she needed was to accidentally kill someone out of anger. Brida had given her some concoction that helped settle her stomach, it lasted long enough to get a few hours of sleep. She woke to Sihtric rubbing her stomach to soothe their children, she nuzzled into his chest sleepily as he did so.

"How did it go?" She questioned and sighed in relief when he kissed her softly.

"Nothing about that was good, but you do not need to worry." He brushed the hair from her face with a fond smile and pulled her closer. "I love you."

"I love you too, Sitty." She pulled him down for another kiss and he helped her out of the bed with a hiding hand on her back.

The couple sat down next to Uhtred who sent them a nod and leaned over to kiss her, Finan and Osferth sat in front of them with a smile.

"Sleep well?" Uhtred asked as he moved to softly rub her stomach.

"Better than some nights, yes." She sent him a reassuring smile when he frowned.

"Finan." Beocca greets them with a smile from behind them.

"Father Beocca, it's good to see you." Finan says and walks to the man.

"Osferth," He turns to her with a grin. "Lady Lina, always a pleasure to see you." She pulled the man into a hug when he helped her up.

"Father, I am glad to see you and Thyra."

"Dane boy," He trails off. "Looks like a rat." He said looking at Sihtric unprovoked, Luna gasped and smacked the priest lightly.

"He does not." She says and runs her fingers over Sihtric's cheek and smiles when he leans into her.

"I am Sihtric." He says innocently and confused.

"Some privacy?" The priest asks and lays a hand on her shoulder with a kind smile.

"Sit yourself down, father. We all need to piss." Finan says as he smacks Sihtric with a grin and grabs Luna's hand. She followed the Irishman who tossed an arm around her shoulder and pulled her against his side. They stood outside the hall waiting for Beocca to leave Uhtred's side, Finan kissed her temple and laid his head on her own with a sigh.

"I have a feeling this will not end well." Finan speaks with a frown.

"As do I, Finan." Osferth spoke twisting his fingers nervously, Sihtric nodded in agreement.

"Say nothing." Uhtred speaks when they return.

"I won't so much as fart in your direction, lord. I'll simply say to Sihtric here, that this great army we're supposedly gathering, can never hold." Sihtric avoids the Irishman's eyes as he looks at Uhtred, Luna holds Sihtric's hand while looking over at Uhtred.

"Agreed." Sihtric said.

"And I'll mention to Osferth that I didn't come north only to turn and march south." Finan mumbled looking at the monk solemnly.

"Nor me, Finan."

"Lord, I will follow you wherever you go, but we have friends in Wessex and men like Hæsten and Bloodhair are no better than Kjartan." Sihtric intertwined their fingers together and Finan sent them a soft look.

"If the north is your home, your birthright, then why are we not looking towards Bebbanburg? Now, that is a fight we can believe in Uhtred, I am begging ya as your friend. Do not do this, we should leave this place." Finan begs and Uhtred frowns momentarily.

"And leave my brother, how can I do that?" Uhtred asked hurt. She reached over to hold Uhtred's hand and the male lifted it to kiss the back of her hand.

"You must."

"We all know this is going to end in death, Uhtred." She whispered with a frown. After some thought Uhtred decided to go speak with Ragnar and confront Aethelwold, the group walks into the feast hall feeling the tension in the air. Uhtred turned to look at them with a sad look.

"I will be leaving. I will be leaving, though I will not be returning to Wessex. I am needed."

"By a princess? You're no more a dane than the priest here, you're a whore to the crown of Alfred." Luna glared at her friend not liking the way she spoke to Uhtred.

"Leave him alone, Brida." She hissed out and the woman frowned at her.

"You would do this to me again?" Ragnar says heartbrokenly.

"I must."

"Yes, of course. You must. You swore an oath, you gave your word and that is about reputation and honor. What my father gave to you, I now take back. You are no longer Uhtred Ragnarsson." Uhtred attempts to fight back tears.

"Ragnar, you cannot do that, please." Thyra pleaded looking between them. Luna felt sorry for the girl, she finally had her family back only to lose them again.

"You are no longer my brother, this was a game to you." Ragnar whispered with pain and betrayal lacing his voice, Ragnar glanced her way with a sad smile.

"Never." Uhtred whispered.

"Go, before I kill you." Ragnar said looking at Uhtred with heartbreak written all over his face, she reached down to hold her husband's hands, absolutely terrified for Uhtred.

"He does not leave with Skade. Ragnar, she belongs to me." Bloodhair demanded standing up.

"Yes, Bloodhair. We shall make the square," Luna shakes her head at Ragnar begging him not to, Finan steps forward worriedly. "And you can fight for the witch, to the death."

"Agreed." Bloodhair speaks.

"Lord, say nothing." Finan pleads as he squeezes her hand.

"Agreed, we fight."

"No, please. Do not do this, Uhtred." She begs with tears in her eyes, Uhtred refuses to glance her way as he glares at Bloodhair. She knew him well enough to know Uhtred believed he deserved this and nothing she said would change his mind. Sihtric pulled her into his chest as she cried and Finan rubbed her back with a frown.