"A Moment of Peace"

Chapter Warnings: smut (Arthur x reader)

Arthur sat on the edge of the hotel bed, his eyes staring off into space as he replayed the events of the day in his mind. You step from the bathroom, dressed in a simple nightgown, and immediately see the worry etched on his face.

"Everything okay,?" you ask, sitting down beside him and taking his hand.

He sighs, his gaze finally meeting yours. "It's Tris," his voice is heavy. "That panic attack today... I just...I can't help feeling like it's my fault."

You squeeze his hand gently, your expression softening with understanding. "Arthur, you know that's not true," you smile. "You've been nothing but supportive of her. You've done everything you can to help her through this."

"I know," he hangs his head, running a hand through his hair. "But I just feel so helpless sometimes. Like I can't protect her from everything."

Leaning close your eyes lock onto his. "You can't protect her from everything, Arthur," You tried to be gentle but firm. "No one can. But you can be there for her. You can listen to her. You can love her. And that's what she needs most right now."

Arthur looks at you, feeling a surge of gratitude and affection. He knew you were right. He knew he couldn't shield Tris from the world forever. But it was so hard to let go.

"I just worry about her," he admits, his voice barely above a whisper. "She's growing up so fast. I don't know if I'm ready for it."

You smile, brushing a strand of hair out of his face. "No one's ever ready for it, Arthur. But we have to trust that we raised her right. That we gave her the tools she needs to make her own decisions. And we have to trust that she'll come to us when she's ready."

Arthur nods, feeling a sense of calm wash over him. You always had a way of putting things in perspective. But deep down something was bothering him. He couldn't shake the nagging feeling that there was something he was missing. Something important.

But he just didn't know what it was.

Tugging you gently onto his lap he buries his hand into your hair and tilts his head. "There's something you're not telling me," he murmurs, as he traces a thumb across your lips.

You shift slightly on his lap, feeling a flush rise to your cheeks at his touch. You know what he's getting at, but you don't want to bring up the subject of Tris and Jack just yet. You want to distract him, to let him forget his worries for just a little while.

"Nothing important," you say softly, leaning into his touch. "Just gossip from the saloon."

Arthur's eyes darken, his hand tightening in your hair. "You know I don't like gossip," he says gruffly.

You smile, turning your head to nuzzle into his palm. "I know," you say, your voice low and teasing. "But this isn't just any old gossip. It's about a certain ex-outlaw and his beautiful wife."

Arthur's expression softens, his lips quirking into a smile. "Oh really?" he says, his tone lightening. "And what are they saying about us?"

You laugh, feeling a sense of relief wash over you. You can tell that he's starting to relax, his worries fading into the background as he focuses on you.

"Something scandalous, I promise," you say, tracing a finger along his jawline. "And that you're the luckiest man to have me."

Arthur's eyes light up, a spark of amusement in their depths. "I am that," he says, his voice low and suggestive. "And yet, I still feel like there's still something you're not telling me."