Our Song

Jackunzel at last! Sorry it took so long. Here we go.

Ok, I was totally geeking out.

I was sitting in music next the most talented singer in school, possibly the world. Not that she could ever know that I exist. I wasn't even listening to Ms. Moonhaven because I was sneaking glances at Rapunzel Corona and thinking to myself, Don't be an idiot in front of her, don't be an idiot in front of her.

She turned towards me and smiled sweetly. "Hey. You're Jack, right?" Activating macho and coolness. I flashed her an easy grin and ran my fingers through my white hair. "Yep. That's me." Way to go, Mr. Macho. Rapunzel leaned towards me and whispered, "I think you're really cute." I started to lean towards her.....

"Jack?" I got snapped out of my little daydream by an expectant Ms. Moonhaven. Shoot, I hadn't heard a thing she had said! Than I realized that Rapunzel wasn't beside me anymore. She was in front of me, gold hair, green eyes and all. She was trying to get past me, so I muttered, "Sorry." and tucked my legs in.

She walked up to the front and, holding up some staff paper, said, "I need someone to play this music for me." Instantly, six hands (not including mine, cause it wasn't even up) shot to the ceiling. And yet, she looked right at me, eye to eye, and said softly, "I'll take Jack."

My body went on red alert. All systems, activate emergency fluids! So I started sweating. Like a pig. Fun fact, pigs don't sweat. My heart was going like it was in the Indy 500 with frequent pit stops. By the time I had slipped onto the piano bench, I probably needed a new shirt and my hands were shaking pretty bad.

I looked up at the music and tried to play, but my fingers were tripping all over themselves. And pretty much everyone was laughing. Ms. Moonhaven sent me a sympathetic look. I looked down at my shaking hands and shook my head. I couldn't do this. Not with her standing right beside me.

But then I felt warm fingers over mine and looked up. Rapunzel was actually smiling at me. Yeah, at me. I felt a surge of......... I don't know what, but it allowed my fingers to stop tripping and play the music pretty darn well. I wasn't even looking! Well, I was looking at her. And when she sang, wow. Just wow.

"I was riding shotgun,
With my hair undone
In the front seat of his car.
He had a one hand feel on the steering wheel,
The other on my heart.
I look around, turn the radio down,
He says, "Baby, is something wrong?"
I say, "Nothing, I was just thinking
About how we don't have a song."
And he said,"

Suddenly, I was the one singing! Now I have an ok voice, I mean, I'm not Brad Pitt! But I had heard the song a few times and just, I don't know, improvised!

"Our song is the slam of green doors,
Sneaking out late, tapping on your window,
When you're on the phone and you talk real slow,
Cause it's late and your momma don't know!
Our song is the way you laugh,
The first date, man, I didn't kiss her,
But I should have.
And when I got home,
Lord, I said amen,
Asking God if he could play it again."

She was impressed. Well, everyone was, really. Here I was, the bullied no one, singing in the same room with Rapunzel Corona! So, why not continue?

"I was walking up the front porch steps
After everything that day.
It had gone all wrong,
I'd been trampled on,
And lost and thrown a-way.
Got into the hallway, well on my way
To my loving bed.
I almost didn't notice all the roses
And the note that said,"

"Our song is the slam of green doors,
Sneaking out late, tapping on your window,
When you're on the phone and you talk real slow
Cause it's late and your momma don't know!
Our song is the way you laugh,
The first date, man, I didn't kiss him,
But I should have.
And when I got home,
Lord, I said amen,
Asking God if he could play it again,
Play it again........."

Was it just me, or were we the only two people in the room? Cause that's what it felt like. Just me and her, staring into each other's eyes all lovey dovey, like some romantic movie I saw once on Netflix. She slipped on the bench beside me and her arm accidentally bumped mine, causing electricity to go up and down my back. I looked at her pretty face and saw her cheeks redden significantly. She was blushing. Our voices were perfectly in sync as we stared at each other intensely, like we were relying on a cue from the other person.

"I heard all the albums
Listening to the radio.
Waiting for someone to come along.
That was as good as our song.

Cause our song is the slam of green doors,
Sneaking out late, tapping on your window,
When you're on the phone and you talk real slow,
Cause it's late and your momma don't know!
Our song is the way you laugh,
The first date, man, I didn't kiss you,
But I should have.
And when I got home,
Lord, I said amen,
Asking God if he could play it again.

I was riding shotgun with my hair undone
In the front seat of his car.
I grabbed a pen and an old napkin and I
Wrote down our song."

Our faces were an inch away when the class erupted in applause, snapping us back to reality. I didn't know about her, but I thought for a moment there, we were going to lock jaws or something. You know.............kiss? But we didn't. No big, right? Right.

So I went back to my seat and waited for class to end. Once again, I didn't listen to a word Ms. Moonhaven said. I was too busy thinking about what could've happened. But the bell rang like, ten minutes after Rapunzel and my little solo. But right after I walked out into the halls, she came up and tapped my on the shoulder.

"That was pretty good. You have a nice voice." She said, holding out her hand for me to shake. So I did. And she pulled herself up onto her tiptoes and gave me a peck on the lips before walking away. I stared at her for maybe a minute before realizing there was a slip of paper in my hand. Her phone number.

I ran into a nearby broom closet and yelled, "Yes! My plan worked!!!" And that, ladies and gents, is what happens when you sing a song with the person of your dreams.