Why Am I Surrounded By Idiots?

The blaring of an alarm clock. 9am. I drew his suitcases closer to my body as I surveyed his surroundings.

Higham House: a place where dreams go to die. At least, that's what Julian always says.

In reality, the old boarding school is a rather large manor house in the Surrey countryside, surprisingly still standing after all of these centuries, with minimal repairs of former damage.

I looked up to the sign above the bus stop outside of the school gates. Every day, it oddly appeared more sparkling and new than the previous day. It read:

HIGHAM HOUSE
SECONDARY PRIVATE SCHOOL
OFSTED: OUTSTANDING
EST. 1849
BUILT: 1425

I always thought it was rather pretentious.

I glanced down to my phone. 09:01. Havers was late. That was unlike him. Maybe he was dropped off further away? Again, highly unlikely. His father was a punctual bloke, and always made sure that his son was as close to the location he needed to be at as possible. I yearned to have a father like that. Perhaps I did, once upon a time.

My Lieutenant
Sorry, Cap, running a bit late. My father wanted me to gather some things for him at the shop. I will be another five minutes, if that is alright? We're driving through Effingham now.

Captain
It's quite alright, Havers. Do not panic. I only just arrived a few minutes ago myself. I shall see you soon.

"Simp." A voice said from behind me. I jumped out of my skin and swiftly spinned around, turning off my phone in the process. "Julian told me to call you a simp."

Just Fanny.

"Excuse me?"

"Well, I agree with him. You were getting impatient with him, as you would get agitated with anyone else who wasn't punctual. Then, after one message from him, you're completely fine, and back to swooning again!"

"Fanny, you've got the wrong ide-"

"No, Captain, you know I don't." She shook her head in disapproval. "Look, how long do we have? Four minutes? Okay, I'll make it quick. Don't interrupt me."

I rolled my eyes.

"You like Havers. I haven't really met the guy, but I'm assuming he likes you back. Well, hopefully anyway. It may not be very ladylike of me, but I will drop kick him if he breaks your heart." She stared at me, serious in all of her words.

"Fanny, relax, it's just a silly... Fancy. Besides, he's my best friend! It will pass!"

"Well, I'll be keeping my eye on you two. I have to protect my little cousin, after all."

"We're in public. It's little brother here."

"My point still stands." She grabbed hold of her three suitcases and sat down at the seat in the bus stop.

Suddenly, a small, black car pulled up near the road. The windows in the back were dark, making it difficult to tell who was in the car. But I would tell who was in the car, even if I was blind or in the darkness of the night.

The back door opened.

"Captain!" A voice exclaimed.