27 - The Land Beyond

A memory forcefully dislodge itself at the back of my mind, of my grandfather Topaz sitting beside me on a swing chair, rubbing my back as I cry my little heart out at the death of my pet canary. He told me then that life is about finding the good among the bad, that it isn't one long string of happiness with sad times tucked in between. I am sad today, but that does not mean I will never be happy again.

"Life is what it is; a struggle more often than not, and you'll never be content unless you learn how to find the moments that matter."

I learned the truth to those words years later, when all that is left to me is a broken imitation of the life I had. It is talking and drinking from the well with my training partners and instructors after a day of grueling training. It is the meals for birthdays and anniversaries that we find a way to celebrate in spite of the scarcity of food. It is the small things we share in a time where darkness prevails.

"Seize joy where you may find it, my princess." I remember him saying.

Matapos pumayag ng lalaki ay tumalikod na siya at sumakay sa isa sa mga sasakyang naghihintay at tuluyan ng umalis, sumunod rin sa kaniya ang iba pa, samantalang ang mga may pakpak naman ay piniling lumipad. I watched them for awhile, mystified by the way their velvety wings move and caught the wind, the sound they make when they beat or flutter their wings.

I was once again reminded of Von's euphemism about butterflies and jars and flying free. Everyone who could fly, should fly.

"Fucking hell." Lestrad's colorful vocabulary and a splashing sound from behind made me turn to look.

It was the fish people, and they don't look very fishy anymore. Where before they had fish tails, gills at the side of their necks, and skin dotted with scales, now they have legs and an otherwise smooth skin.

Ang iba sa kanila ay naglalakad na sa pampang patungo sa mga sasakyang naghihintay, while the others are still on the process of shifting. Their gills sealed itself shut, and the scales on their skin receded until it vanished into their skin entirely. But what really surprised me is the way their tails shrunk, lost its vibrant color until it resembled human flesh, and separated to reveal two very normal looking legs. It was a weird and slightly traumatizing process.

"It's rude to stare, y'know?" Turan ng babaeng tinawag nilang Jeanne. She, Bindwind, and Alaric are all watching us from where they stood near the vehicles.

"Lay off Jeanne, it's their first time." Alaric chirped in, "I remember when I first saw them too, gawked like a moron."

"Yes, and Dwyn almost drowned you for that." Bindwind told Alaric with an amused tilt to his lips, he turned to us and said in a more serious tone, "They don't like getting gawked at like common animals in a zoo."

"Does anyone?" Lestrad asked with a raised brown.

"Heh! Probably not." Alaric answered just as Jeanne said, "We should go."

Hindi na kami hinintay na sumagot ni Jeanne bago niya kami talikuran. Kaagad na sumunod sa kaniya si Alaric, kaya't wala na kaming nagawa kun'di ang sumunod sa kanilang dalawa.

"What a bitch." Lestrad muttered again, though I'd have to agree.

Huling sumakay si Bindwind, malamang ay para makasigurong hindi kami tatakbo. The vehicle was a futuristic looking and bluish gray carriage like thing with pitch black lines running up and down its sides and an open roof, there is also a long bench on both sides, facing each other, that could easily fit at least 5 people each so there's a lot of space. An awkward silence lapsed as we sat facing each other.

Binalingan ko ng palihim na tingin si Frost, para lang makita kung paano siya nagre-react so far. At gaya ng inaasahan ko, his face is as emotionless as the first time I met him. This is the perfect chance to get rid of a powerful enemy player, I though to myself. Surely not even someone with his power can win against this many people? Althought magiging problema ang pagbabalik namin sa Pandemonium ng wala si Frost gayong sigurado ako na maraming nakakita sa amin na madukot ng magkakasama.