Ice

The news about the new deadline of the mission was like pouring cold water on the pilots. Crystal was glad that Warlock was the one responsible for letting them know what happened, with the supervision of Cyclone that was sitting at the back of the class, Hondo close to him.

"Sir, no one here has successfully flown a low-level course." Coyote spoke up about what all of them must be thinking.

"Nevertheless," Warlock began, "you've been ordered to move on." He then looked at Maverick. "Captain."

"We have one week left to focus on phase two." Maverick started explaining. "It's the most difficult stage of the mission. It's a pop-up strike with a steep dive, requiring nothing less than two consecutive miracles. Two pairs of F-18s will fly in a welded wing formation." He continued. "Teamwork." He stressed. "Precise coordination of these aircraft is essential to both the mission's success and your survival."

Crystal observed, by her place at the corner of the front side of the room, the whispers between the pilots. They were worried. Rightfully so.

Maverick continued. "Egress is a steep high-G climb out to avoid hitting this mountain."

"A steep climb at that speed, you're pulling at least eight G's." Hangman said with a hint of disbelief in his voice.

"Nine." Crystal cuts in to get the attention of the class. "Minimum."

It was Rooster's time to speak. "The stress limit of the F-18's airframe is 7.5."

"That's the accepted limit." Maverick explained. "To survive this mission, you'll pull beyond that, even if it means bending your airframe."

Crystal can see Cyclone's worried expression and the weight of the knowledge hovering in the room as Maverick continues speaking.

"Sir." Phoenix called. "Is this even achievable?"

"If we didn't believe you could do it we wouldn't be here." Crystal spoke up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For days Crystal watches as the pilots fail time and again to reach the results expected of them. She can see Maverick's worries increasing tenfold each day, her own fears eating her from the inside. Until the dreadful call.

It was Warlock himself that came to the control room to get her. She could sense that something was wrong just by the look on his face.

"It's your father." He confirmed her fears, guiding her to Cyclone's room.

"Icebreaker." Cyclone called her as she entered the room. He was standing behind his desk. "Mrs Kazansky called."

Crystal stops breathing.

He continues. "An officer will escort you to your home. Your father needs you more than us now."

"Thank you, sir." She said, a knot forming in her throat.

"If you need anything..." Cyclone started.

"I know who to call, sir."

He nodded at her.

"Dismissed."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ride home seemed like it took ages. Crystal looked through the window the whole time, not able to focus on anything, her mind running a mile a minute.

"Lieutenant Commander?"

She heard the officer call, slowly turning her head to look at him.

"Ma'am, we are here."