Seventeen

Namir watched as Legolas awoke. Watched the shimmer of white gold hair under the sunlight slanting across the bed. The furrow appearing in the elf's brow as waking disturbed him, the slight twitch of his fingers around Namir's waist. Felt his heartbeat change rhythm and his chest expand as he inhaled deeply. When those blue eyes fluttered open to stare at him, Namir found himself struck by a sudden hunger. It was a desire, possessive and animal. When he smiled, with was with love and too sharp teeth that he wanted to sink into the pale skin of his elf's neck. Too bite and claim him as his mate, his equal. It was a desire that had been burning since they had first met and experience of ignoring it was useful. (He may have animal instincts to claim and devour, but he was human enough to not listen to them). 

"Morning", Legolas greeted, voice slightly deeper than normal with the vestiges of slumber. Namir so desperately wanted to sink his teeth into him. The beast in his chest louder, had been louder since the collar had been removed. It paced and growled and hungered in his head and he felt a kinship with his father. It made sense of Bern's bear form to be so uncontrollable after torture and captivity. (Namir was glad that he had been captured alone. He was sure he would have gone feral if he had spent his captivity watching people he cared about be killed). He replied with a rumble in his throat and nuzzled the blonde's shoulder. 

Legolas laughed and drew one hand in a soothing strokes over his forehead, across his braided dark hair and down the back of his neck, not stopping until it was at the small of his back. Namir coiled around the touch, pressing in closer. "What is today?" Legolas asked, blue eyes bright as he watched Namir's face. The skin-changer made a disgruntled noise and the elf smiled gently. "Alright then. Will you be changing to join us for breakfast?" 

Namir's answer was to roll over and slip out of bed. He pulled the large nightshirt over his head, skin as bare as a babe under the sunlight before he was turning. His form sunk smoothly, changing and reforming until the panther like beast was padding around the bed to the other side. He rested his large head on Legolas' thigh and the Elf reached out to scratch behind an ear as he sat up. Namir thought that Legolas really was beautiful as long hair spilled around his shoulders. 

The elf got dressed and ties back his hair while Namir lounged in the sunlight, tail flicking. When Legolas was ready, he turned and smiled at the cat. "Shall we go?" He opened the door and Namir got up, padding after him as they headed for the great hall. 

"There was no lie in Pippin's eyes", Gandalf's voice echoed loudly as they entered. The white wizard was standing by the fire pit. Pippin and Merry eating breakfast with Gimli at one of the tables while Aragorn leaned against a pillar. Theoden standing tall as he listened. "A fool he maybe, but an honest fool. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the ring". 

Legolas stopped at Aragorn's side to listen as Namir prowled towards the table where the food was piled. Gimli paused as he saw the large beast draw closer. "Stop eyeing up my food", the dwarf grunted. Namir sat on his back legs and blinked big brown eyes. "Urgh fine". Gimli tossed him a chicken thigh and the cat caught it in his large jaws. A pleased rumble emanating from his chest as he trotted back to sit near Legolas, bones crunching under his teeth. 

Gandalf had continued talking, ignoring Namir although Theoden's eyes kept flicking between the cat and the wizard. The man wary of the beast but still trying to pay attention to the conversation. "We are strangely fortunate. Pippin saw a glimpse of the enemy's plan. Sauron moves to strike at the city of Minas Tirith. His defeat at Helm's deep has told him one thing. He knows that the heir of Gondor has come forth", he glanced at Aragorn. "Men are not as weak as he supposed. Courage is still found, strength enough to perhaps challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the people's of middle earth uniting under one banner. He shall raise Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a king return to the throne of men. When the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war". 

Namir finished the chicken and licked his lips. Sunlight was streaming from the hole in the ceiling where the smoke from the fire was drifting out off, and it cast golden glows over them. He yawned widely, exposing sharp white teeth, and rolled lazily. Legolas looked down and smiled fondly. The elf crouching to rub his hand over Namir's brow and down his sides. A low rumbled started and his purrs began to echo through the hall. 

"Tell me", Theoden spoke calmly. "Why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours?" The question would have held more weight if it wasn't for the loud purring of Namir as Legolas scratched his ears. "What do we owe Gondor?"

"I will go", Aragorn muttered. 

"No", Gandalf snapped. Namir lifted his head to watch. 

"They must be warned". 

"They will be". The wizard drew close to Aragorn, voice falling to a quiet murmur. Namir heard it anyway. "You must come to the city by another road. Follow the river. Look to the black ships". His voice rose again as he turned his gaze around the hall. "Understand this. Things are now in motion that can't be undone. I ride for Minas Tirith and I won't be going alone". 

With that, the wizard began to stride for the doors. "Come!" He called back after them. Merry and Pippin scrambled after him hastily. Aragorn and Gimli following a bit more gracefully. 

Legolas glanced down at the panther. "Are you coming?" He asked. Namir's tail flicked and he laid his head down on his paw. The elf chuckled at the answer. "Alright. Don't scare anyone while I'm gone". Then he was rising and jogging after the others. 

Namir basked in the sunlight for a few minutes, enjoying the warmth of it. Until a surprised cry of alarm made him blink open his eyes to see Eowyn and a few women in the doorway. At his attention, one of the women began screaming. Eowyn was pale with wide eyes. Theoden sighed deeply as Namir's tail flicked amusedly. 

unedited 

its been a while. Who has missed our loveable cat boy?